• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Utility pumps?

Becca

Members
Silly question - I want to make it a little easier to move water from my rain barrels to my indoor storage bins. Is there any reason that I shouldn't use a sump/utility pump (newly purchased) to do this?

It seems like you can get a pump that is more powerful, has a longer cord, and costs less if it's a regular utility pump rather than an aquarium pump.

mchambers

Former CCA member
No reason you can't do this. I haven't used a regular utility pump, so I can't answer that question.

kevin911

Members
Becca I think you should be fine, I've seen it done.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Becca I think you should be fine, I've seen it done.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Awesome. I was kind of worried there'd be some sort of metal or lubricant that was not fish safe, though I do remember my dad using the same sump pump he used for EVERYTHING on our fish pond when I was growing up. I don't recall it ever causing trouble.

verbal

CCA Members
I think main difference is that sump pumps are meant for short-term use and utility pumps are meant to run continuously.

frkyltn

Members
you should be fine..I just used a utility pump to transfer water from a 75g to a new 150g setup..saved me a lot of time!!