• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need Help From Catfish Lovers!

marge618

CCA member
Hi CCA Friends,
Won 4 catfish in AquaBid auction. Told they were 'cute' and 'quiet'. Seems they are 'cute, quiet and GET BIG'. On another forum I received the response below. His comments in blue..mine after smilie) Would appreciate help from any CCA catfish lovers on this one!

-<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("jmlenke")</div>
What info do you want to know? I have had one for at least 6 years (probably longer then that). :)rolleyes: I need to know as much as possible before 4 of them arrive.)

-They are solo, they do not like other Syno's AT ALL. ( :confused0007: Does this mean that they do not even tolerate others of their kind?)

-They tolerate other bottom dwellers but aren't fans and don't share. ( :confused0007: So, how would they get along with zebra loaches 3inches + and BN plecos?)

-They are relatively timid, they will investigate you IF it means they dont have to leave safety during the day. ( :confused0007: So they only move around during the night..or in the shadows? How do you know they get along with your other fish?)

-They are diggers if no suitable cave is found ..only if the cave is up to their satisfaction. ( :confused0007: I can provide them large pleco caves. Will that be large enough? Also, I have an underground filter in that tank. Will they like that?)

-Never had more then one at a time so can't be sure but see my first point and work from there. ( :confused0083: Tentatively I expect to get 4 of these. HELP FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS MORE THAN ONE!!!)

-Never had any issues with him eating any other tankmates that I know of. ( :confused0083: What does they don't tolerate other bottom dwellers mean then...?)

-Diet is whatever is available AFAIK. ( :p The only easy part so far.)

-Use AGED water, they do NOT like water changes directly into the tank. ( :confused0024: Planned to put them in an already many years established 55 g tank with African cichlids. I usually use a python to change 1/3 to 1/2 of the water. Always add prime to remove chlorine. Will they like such water changes?)[/b]

ANYONE WHO KEEPS THESE CATFISH PLEASE CHIME IN!
Later,
Marge

marge618

CCA member
Marge,

I haven't had them but here is some good info

S. occellifer
and

Forum Post

Sounds like they are peaceful but they do get pretty big

Good luck[/b]

Thanks Kurt! The first source is one that I have seen before. :smashfreakB: Afraid I read just the part that says "A nice little fellow, particularly peaceful, ideal for any African cichlid tank." I remembered about how nice they are and never thought about how big '30 cm' could be!

The second source is great! He really did my homework for me! The basic keeping info and list of compatible fish were just what I was looking for.
:happy0065: How about the comment "beautiful colouration exciting fish to watch if kept with 2 or more!!" Now I am excited about getting these fish. Sounds like they might fit nicely in my Malawi African cichlid tank!

Anyone who has kept these catfish please chime in. It would help if you listed fish size in inches!

Later,

marge618

CCA member
The 4 BIG SYNS are scheduled to arrive this week. :happy0012: :happy0012: :happy0012: :happy0012:

(That is if the weather in Baltimore isn't too cold for shipping fish.) Not sure how big these juveniles will be at this point. They were small when I bid on them in December....

From what I've read I pretty sure that 'big' and 'little' syns should not be kept in the same tank. The S. ocellifer is a catfish that gets twice as big as Syndontis Petricola . It's an omnivore and 'will eat just about anything'. (Hopefully not other fish.)
:confused0054: :animal0028:

Would appreciate any input on how to make these catfish feel 'at home' when they arrive.

Later,
Marge