• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

a freaky kinda love between Blood Parrot and Red Devil

johnscottant

Members
I put my Blood Parrot and Red Devil (tri color) in a 60 gallon tank together because they were causing havoc in my 75 gallon tank. I went to clean the tank last week and was met with some great aggression. They attacked me every time I tried to syphon the tank. Chalking it up as just a bad day for both of them, I moved on and didnt think much about it. Im going away for the weekend so i wanted to do a partial water change. Again aggression and the closer I got to a large piece of drift wood, the more their aggression got worse. After careful inspection of the wood I was amazed to find eggs covering the back of the drift wood. Has this happened to anyone else? Will these eggs hatch? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Images below, My blood parrot is extremely orange now. Dark and deep orange.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Leffler817

CCA Members
IDK if they'll become fry. I once heard that Parrot Fish were a hybrid and were sterile as a result. :wacko: I never did confirm that though.

johnscottant

Members
I thought the same until I saw the eggs and after some research on the web found that there have been some rare cases of fry

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Most parrot females are fertile. Sorry to disappoint but this cross is very common. You're. Likely to get a lot of variation in color and shape as they grow.

johnscottant

Members
Ok. Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know I may get some fry. I know a lot of people don't care for blood parrots but I find them to be interesting despite the fact that they are man made.

dogofwar

CCA Members
If you like them, then that's all that matters!

Fish store tanks would be pretty darn bare if no one kept "man made" fish... Brown, short-finned bettas anyone?!? :rolleyes:

Matt

Ok. Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to know I may get some fry. I know a lot of people don't care for blood parrots but I find them to be interesting despite the fact that they are man made.