• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

45 West African Biotope Build

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey guys,

About a month ago, Jon Clark and I were talking about the Aquarium Beautiful competition for the BFD. I had brought a 75 gallon Malawi setup last year and was trying to keep things simple this time around.

After I thought about the setups last year, I realized that while we had many entries, there were not many West African tanks. With our good friend, Anton Lamboj coming, we could not let this happen again!

I was planning on a 36" 30 gallon tank initially, utilizing fish I already Benitochromis nigrodorsalis, a CARES, bi-parental mouthbrooding cichlid from Cameroon. I had first considered barbs from Cameroon, but they were either too small to share a tank with the cichlids, or scarce in the hobby. In the end, I settled for another group of fish already on hand - Congo tetras. While technically from different biotopes, their gregarious behavior would complement the more cautious cichlids nicely. As an aside, from speaking with Rachel about the barbs, she confirmed that most would also be hiding in a newly setup tank in a public area.... so it worked out well.

As a last minute addition, I dropped by Congressional Aquarium and picked up an African butterfly fish - a widely distributed fish in West Africa.

For plants, I had a great starter - tons of anubias (large and small). I remembered Anton mentioning that anubias did not generally grow under water year round, so this tank would feature a slope simulating a creek bank. On the deep end, I would provide a large native plant - a crinum that Halak/Viktor gave to me. Manzanita was used to simulate root tangle at the stream's edge.

The next question was that of substrate. Looking through Anton's book, the streams seem very similar to those of Peru - muddy, with minimal fine gravel. Well... you can't set up a mud tank in a day and expect it to look exciting - nor is is feasible long-term. So I did something I hadn't done since being a kid... went to the creek with a shovel and a 5 gallon bucket and pulled out some creek gravel.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9%3A4%3C%3Dot%3E25%3B8%3D937%3D348%3DXROQDF%3E282%3B354%3A7%3C257ot1lsi

Note to self - the uphill walk back to the car with a 100 pound bucket of gravel, mud and water is much much much longer than the exciting trip there!

I rinsed the gravel extensively in the backyard using shallow Rubbermaid tubs and later dried it on a picnic table in the sun for a couple of days. This was followed conveniently by a couple of 20 degree F days to kill off whatever may be remaining.

The fines atop the creek gravel would be another substrate choice I do not have much practice with - play sand. LOTS and LOTS of rinsing and the stuff came out *mostly* clear in the end.

The final touch included soaking a bag full of oak leaves in a bucket for 5 days before the event... both to get them water-logged and to get some tannin tea to add to the tank once set up.

The day of the event, I ended up using a 36" 45 gallon setup in lieu of the 30 gallon. The added height came in handy for the very large plants and larger tetras and Westies.

I set up the tank and between the tannin tea and some residual dust on the play sand, it gave the tank a somewhat eerie appearance. The intentionally-low light added to the effect. By the next morning, much of the dust had settled and it looked right.

Here's a shot of it on Saturday night (borrowed from Jack/Slayz_ on the photo thread - Thanks!).

(Additional evidence of googly-eye vandalism shown)

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3655%3Dot%3E282%3B%3D458%3D9%3A%3C%3D373%3A4588%3B%3B348nu0mrj

Over the weekend, I decided that I liked the setup so much that I would replace the current tank in my kitchen.

So, with Anton staying with us on Sunday and Monday nights, I put him to work...

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5364%3Dot%3E25%3B8%3D937%3D348%3DXROQDF%3E282%3B34%3A625257ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv588%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D373%3A445%3A%3A9348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv666%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D373%3A445%3A%3A8348nu0mrj

^^^ I used large chunky rocks to build up a base on the side.. This stretches the gravel out a lot as well as can provide some cool, built-in caves if planned right. (Always add substrate before water)

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3C43%3Dot%3E282%3B%3D428%3D%3B%3B4%3D373%3A428%3A%3C3348nu0mrj

^^^ Preliminary layout with fish added.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A6%3A3%3Dot%3E25%3B8%3D937%3D348%3DXROQDF%3E282%3B354%3B98257ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A4%3B3%3Dot%3E25%3B8%3D937%3D348%3DXROQDF%3E282%3B368%3B%3A%3C257ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8%3B75%3Dot%3E25%3B8%3D937%3D348%3DXROQDF%3E282%3B354%3A7%3A257ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3654%3Dot%3E25%3B8%3D937%3D348%3DXROQDF%3E282%3B34%3A623257ot1lsi

I shot some video as well and will post it up either on this thread or the CARES B. nigrodorsalis thread once I have a chance to edit it.

Thanks for looking. I hope that this thread had some different ideas for those looking to setup new tanks or reboot existing ones.

Anyone considering getting into West African cichlids should absolutely give them a shot. Absolutely amazing fish!

Cheers.

JasonC

Members
This is almost exactly the tank I have been thinking about trying for a bit now... really liking the Westies. I spent a good amount of time staring at your tank during AM2.. extremely well executed, and I am very glad to see that it has a life past the event!

lkelly

Members
Tony, are there potential issues with having a substrate that deep on part of the tank? And would a tank like this be troublesome to clean (as in using a siphon and determining what to suck up)?

Becca

Members
I think it's Crinium natans. I know it's some sort of Crinium. Read up on it - not cheap but I don't think it is the very easiest plant to keep either.

I'm in lust over the crinum myself.

I like this tank quite a lot. Good questions about concerns (if any) for the height of the substrate on the right, as well as concerns about siphoning. I know from experience the oak leave break down and are kind of messy to siphon out. (by the way, I have a bag if you want them, originally from Sam)

Becca

Members
I'm in lust over the crinum myself.

I like this tank quite a lot. Good questions about concerns (if any) for the height of the substrate on the right, as well as concerns about siphoning. I know from experience the oak leave break down and are kind of messy to siphon out. (by the way, I have a bag if you want them, originally from Sam)

If you don't want them, and Tony doesn't, I'd take them. I use them with the D. macs and chocolate gouramis.

lkelly

Members
Oak leaves have some sort of value? I have approximately 68 billion in the woods behind my house. You can come get them all.

Tony

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Regarding the substrate, I stacked up very large, semi-rectangular rocks on the right end, then filled in the gaps with larger gravel, then sand on top. At any given spot, there's only about 2"-3" max of sand/gravel thickness, so not too much stuff should get down in there (hopefully). If it does, I'll pull it out and reshuffle. :)

Yeah, it's crinum. Gorgeous plant for sure. I put double CF lighting over the top, so it's pretty bright (brighter than what I'd like for that biotope look), but probably necessary for the plant.

Congo tetras - got the initial group from Christine and some additional ones from Batfish. They'll go back outside in the tub once it gets warm. They spawned last year, but only ended up pulling a couple of surviving juveniles.

Leaves - I do leaves in all of my South American/soft water tanks. I don't suck them out, just let them collect. I dose RO water heavily on my planted 150 eartheater tank and have been adding leaves with every water change pretty much since I set it up. They collect at the bottom and slowly dissolve over time. It provides a micro habitat for small fish/corys as well as a food source for fry.

Maybe I'm screwed up, but I'm under the impression that the leaves slowly breaking down over time positively impacts the water parameters more than they do negatively.

Good on leaves - filled a large paper yard waste bag with them in the fall that I keep in my carport (I go through a lot). Thanks though!

Tony

BTW, also have a pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus Lobe in there from Matt C. Awesome little fish. Did anyone ever notice that they graze algae? Their grazing action reminds me of some mbuna, lol! They are about 15% of the size of the Benitochromis, but are totally ignored by them.

This is a good example where leaf litter comes in handy! Tons of hiding spots for small fishes.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Lobe

BTW, also have a pair of Pelvicachromis taeniatus Lobe in there from Matt C. Awesome little fish. Did anyone ever notice that they graze algae? Their grazing action reminds me of some mbuna, lol! They are about 15% of the size of the Benitochromis, but are totally ignored by them.

This is a good example where leaf litter comes in handy! Tons of hiding spots for small fishes.
I had not seen the Lobe feeding on algae, but it doesn't surprise me. The fry scurry in a pack in the tank, feeding on stuff in the substrate and on wood.

When Anton Lamboj spoke to the club a couple of years ago on Pelvicachromis, he showed video of some sort of Pelvicachromis grazing on plant material in the wild. He said that analysis of what was in their intestinal tract showed a large amount of vegetative matter. He worried that we feed our fish like they're going to McDonald's every day, suggesting that we should feed far less frequently.

As to leaves, I think their breakdown is good for the water and inhabitants, but isn't all that sightly. Also means you need to clean your filter or prefilter more often.