• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

??? for New World Fish Keepers

Leffler817

CCA Members
I'm reaching out to all of you new world fish keepers as I am booking CCA speaking engagements. I am trying to keep the speaking topics balanced between new and old world fish but being an old world fish keeper, I'm not familiar with names of speakers and/or topics that new world keepers would like to hear. If there is someone that you know of and want to hear please reply with their name and topic if known.

Here is an opportunity for you to have a say in who presents at our monthly CCA meetings.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

Becca

Members
Dwarf cichlids other than Apistos would be nice (not to knock Apistos).

There are a lot of lesser-known options out there - Dicrossus species, Biotoecus opercularis, Creniacara punctulatum, Guianacara species, Biotodoma species (last two aren't as minuscule as the other, but are still "dwarf.")

Catfish and unusual fish that can go in with cichlids as dithers or otherwise...

Termato

Board of Directors
I agree with Becca on the other dwarf species of new world cichlids. I'd be very interested in that talk.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Sure sounds like it is on "tank busters".

I'd second the idea for a talk on dwarf New World cichlids, like Biotodoma.

I'd also be interested in non-Cichlid topics. Tetras? Danios?

I'm always interested in other aquarium topics, like filtration and water quality, if the speaker has technical chops.

Having said that, I don't have any names to suggest.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
We try to stick with Cichlid related topics since we are a Cichlid club.(with leanings to catfish) We like to be different than the rest. LOL

Its always hard deciding what or who to bring in. You cant please everyone. Most people only keep fish in a certain area. I remember getting the "why did we spend the money for mr Au. Only a few people keep Discus. LOL He was a great speaker. We had fun and attracted people from simply discus all the way from new England just for a talk. LOL

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I assume you have looked at our past list from years ago.

I also used to look at all the other clubs. Not local ones. I used to check Denver, Pacific coast cichlids, Chicago, OCA, etc. Check their schedule. See who they are using to get ideas. Some used to list the whole year. Some just the next speaker.

Another great place to find speakers is at the ACA convention. Most are there even if they are not talking. I used to set up about 1/2 the next year just from talking to people at the convention. Not sure if you were going or not.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have not looked at the list but from the top of my head.
Chuck Rambo out of California
D i c k Au out of the west coast for discus
Ted judy has done talks here for dwars.
Juan Miguel out of Mexico it the top New World guy around.
I have tried for years to get Oliver Luganus. Our timing is never right.

mchambers

Former CCA member
We try to stick with Cichlid related topics since we are a Cichlid club.(with leanings to catfish) We like to be different than the rest. LOL

I understand, but at some point you run the risk of the talks becoming a bit repetitive.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Michi Tobler (who I think we had scheduled at one point a couple of years ago) would be great. He's done some great work on the medium-sized cichlids of Central America (as well as livebearers).

Would love a presentation on the paper by Rican on the application of new genomic analysis methods to re-classify New World cichlids (most of the names recently changed because of this paper)

Matt

Leffler817

CCA Members
Thank you all who've contributed so far, keep the suggestions coming! I have seen past lists and I'm trying not to repeat speakers if possible.

carl_d_c

Members
Ted Judy did a nice piece on dwarf pikes in TFH ... and I love me some dwarf pikes!!!
And regular pike cichlids.