• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Altums

BevN

Members
I emailed to see what kind of response I get. I'm skeptical but I'll let you know if I hear back.

BevN

Members
My first thought it scam but I figured I'd have nothing to lose by emailing. I don't need altums (have them and can get wild caught) but I was just curious to see what type of response I got.

BevN

Members
Nope...don't think anyone did. I figured he hijacked the picture but couldn't find it.

And honestly I think if anyone of us succeeded in spawning altums it would be shouted from the rooftops and not end up as some little ad on craigslist.

I did have a gent from down your way come up here to pick up 10 or so altums as he wanted to hand pick them. He said years ago he has a pair spawn but could not raise the young. He told me his were about 5 years old before they spawned. I'm wondering if half our problem in spawning altums isn't simply keeping them alive long enough. Mine are just about 3 and while I've seen sparing no spawning....yet.

The only other offering I've heard of tank raised altums comes from Asia. There is a lot of skepticism on them being pure altums or altums crosses.

Mikeinco

Members
I would love to get some wild caught Altums but I am scared to death of just killing them slowly. I've heard they can be a real challenge. I consider myself to be a pretty experienced hobbiest but Altums are probably much harder to care for than even Discus. I still want to try them at some point.