• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ill fishy

Tooz100

Members
Hi guys I recently moved my 20 haps and peacocks to a 180 g tank. There has been a bit of the usual in house fighting to establish rank and territory . I went away for four days and came back to my aulonocara baenschi looking in a bad way . I was wondering if these are battle wounds or something more sinister. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Look like battle wounds with some inflammation and lost scales. Try isolating him. Clean water in a cycled tank I wouldn't do meds just yet but others might. Is he eating? Is he acting normal?

chriscoli

Administrator
probably some battle wounds and a lot of stress. I've had some Mbuna look that way after going on a particularly enthusiastic and extended spawning spree too.

Will gave good advice....some rest and clean water. I often also use some Melafix and Pimafix to prevent secondary infection.

If you think there might already be some infection taking hold and the fish is easy to catch, you might also do some salt/methylene blue baths. There are various recipes for those that you can Google.

Tooz100

Members
He is eating normally so I'm not too concerned at the moment ! He has been in a corner up near the surface and generally staying out of the way . My hospital tank has currently turned into a nursery for ob peacock fry so maybe I'll have to dig my old 25g out of the shed to house him. I have done a 30% water change and done a salt bath in a bucket before returning him to the main tank . Thanks for the help guys I'll keep him monitored

Tooz100

Members
Well he looked like he was getting better ! Wrong !!! Found him upside down between some rocks this morning fins tattered and barely alive . He has been euthanised now and is hopefully in a better place than my tank of bullies . Gutted I loved that fish .

Tooz100

Members
Well I have got another aulonocara baenschi from my local private breeder also he had a stunning red ob peacock which I couldn't resist buying . I'm slightly concerned as when I placed the bag in the tank my big male venustus and smaller female and my big male red empress went mental ,and we're tearing at the bag . The fish I purchased are around 2 and a half inches and I'm concerned they will get eaten ! I have divided my nursery tank and put them in their for the time being , keeping them separated from my fry . How should I introduce these two to the tank or should I wait until they get a big bigger? I have got some more rocks to go in so should I add them then ? Many thanks for any opinions .

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never kept an all male Malawi tank, so others with more experience should offer their experiences, but whenever I add fish to an established tank, I always try to rearrange the décor and do a water change at the same time. I usually have good success with this. I also try to introduce fish when I will be around to watch the tank fro several hours to make sure there isn't too much violence.

Tooz100

Members
Thanks Jon that's kinda what I was thinking of doing , I just need to find time to sit and watch them , maybe I'll wait till the weekend . The tank isn't all male they are mostly paired male and female .