• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Labidochromis caeruleus Fry help

Jt731

Members
So I have some yellow labs who have bred. I waited until the females spat them and have them in a airstone based hob breeder. I clean the breeder with a straw and tubing once a week and perform regular water changes In the main tank which is the water source. I also have a tmc uv off the canister

The parents are from LFS. I fed the fry baby brine then moved to golden pearl and have moved now to Aquapharm growth and maintenance.

Every few weeks I find one dead. I've lost 6 so far, always the smallest. The largest look healthy and act fine. Most of the fry have survived a few months now. Water tests fine, I have cichlid salts and buffer to mimic the correct hardness and ph. No other fish losses

My previous breeding experience was guppies, so just wanted a sanity check.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Many things
Sometimes aggression between fry
Lack of food-being out competed
Genetics
Unstable water chemistry-too little or too many.

How often are you feeding?
How much? How many fry?
What do you mean by chem is fine got any actual numbers? Fry cant usually Handle what's ok for adults or even juvies.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jt731

Members
Ph 8.2
TDS 253
(Test weekly)

I add kent's cichlid trace weekly as directed to tank. Ammonia and nitrites are all the zero and nitrates are right now at 5ppm

Right now feeding twice a day, it's 12 fry and I feed about 36 micro pellets each feeding

Howie

Members
I've been raising about 35 lab juvies from fry (two batches) for 8 months. Initially, I fed them NLS Grow formula and Omega One veggie micropellets and supplemented that with evening feedings of blood worms. They are growing out nicely. I now mostly feed them the 1mm NLS cichlid formula, since they are big enough to eat. They are in the 1.5" - 2.75" range.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've had the occasional batch of fry where everything seems fine, but one after the next dies. I've often wondered if there was something leftover in the box from a previous batch...maybe something bacterial or viral in the tank that's hitting the fry hard but not affecting the adults.

I'd move them if you can to a clean tank and box and see if you can slow their decline.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I've had the occasional batch of fry where everything seems fine, but one after the next dies. I've often wondered if there was something leftover in the box from a previous batch...maybe something bacterial or viral in the tank that's hitting the fry hard but not affecting the adults.

I'd move them if you can to a clean tank and box and see if you can slow their decline.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app