• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

African cichlids in a stock tank?

Jmoore

Members
Hello, I came up with the idea of getting a big stock tank not to long ago, and I was wondering if I could put african cichlids in it? Is this even possible, and has anyone even tried it? I'd like to put one group of peacocks and one group of mbuna. If anyone has experience with this please let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
Are you doing it inside or outside?

I think it could be a good option for grow-outs. I think you may be disappointed if you are trying to have a breeding group in one.

If you are doing outside, I would go with peacocks, since they would likely let you keep something for mosquito control.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you are asking if it would work with the stock tank outdoors, I would think it would be fine as long as water temperatures aren't out of the normal ranges for the fish. It may be difficult with fry surviving unless you filled it with a lot of hiding spaces.

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
Back in Texas is this a common way to grow out fry during the summer. They often take fry to sub adults in one summer. they can not be kept in the pond year around as the temp drop to low but during the summer it works great!!!!

Jmoore

Members
I may put some young fish in some over the summer outside if it would work. Maybe some young peacocks and mbuna. Whats the minimum size tank I should get?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
For the rubbermaid stock tanks, I think 100 gallon is the best option. It is not as big or expensive as the 300 gallon, but it isn't much more than the 50 or 70 gallon tanks.

dogofwar

CCA Members
In a couple of my fishrooms, I've used the Rubbermaid stock tanks as African cichlid breeder tanks, grow-out tanks, tanks for big fish (lungfish and bichirs) and for aging water for my auto water change system. I like the 150g size as it is big but has a reasonable footprint.

They're plumbed with a 1 1/4" hole near the bottom. With a threaded ball valve and some flexible 1 1/4" tubing (like Home Depot sells in plumbing), you can drain water very easily. In California, I just drained water to the yard (under the garage door). In my basement fishroom, to a floor drain. Cover the drain hole with some cross stitch backing to prevent fish from getting sucked out.

Filtration is easy: I've used air-driven boxes and sponges, canisters and dumps.

I heated with room temp and/or a heater sticking through a piece of styrofoam. I've also just had the heater stuck to the bottom of the tank with suction cups. It didn't melt it.

Back when I kept African cichlids, I had colonies of peacocks, haps, Lethrinops, etc. in bins. A little PFS on the bottom and PVC condos work great and ease catching the holding females.

I kept Africans (mbuna) outside in our (200-300g) goldfish pond when we were in Sacramento. It worked OK but I didn't see any miraculous growth or colors or anything. They hid a lot in the plants but got along with the goldfish.

Matt

neut

Members
I've done it indoors in various configurations and combinations, except that fairly early in my Malawi keeping years I decided I didn't like mbuna with peacocks for the most part, so it wasn't peacocks and mbuna, more like haps and peacocks and/or frontosa.

I lived in Florida for several years, some breeders I knew bred African cichlids in cement ponds of various sizes and configurations. The guys I knew, the 'ponds' basically amounted to large cement stock tanks. These breeders were mostly around Daytona or Orlando, not Southern Florida, so they took them in for the winter if their ponds weren't heated.

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
The main issue in Texas are birds and the extreme heat. The ponds can regulate their temperature better in the ground. Also the bigger the better for this issue as well. Netting is often used to keep birds out. Growing out peacocks and mbuna would work great!!!