• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help identify African please.

Ading522

Members
I would say a ruby red. But the colors are a little too dull.. How big is he? Where did you get him from?

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I'm gonna say red shoulder. Kinda strange but red shoulders start out dark and rust orange...ish. my ruby reds were much more silver a brighter orange also. Shape is more ruby red than red shoulder though. Rubys are line bred so there is no difinitive example. Hard to say I've said it before-lots more hybrids floating around than folks care to admit. Did you get him at a big box store? In a mixed african tank?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Here's pics of a juvi and adult red shoulder and a juvi ruby red. I can't even say for sure these are "pure". They came from reputable people but who knows where they got em

uploadfromtaptalk1387244266988.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387244274232.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1387244286128.jpg

If he is larger than three inch I agree with borleyi any aulonocara at 3+ usually has much more color if he is smaller I would say a borleyi would just be a gray fish with orange fins ime they are very late bloomers.

gmanedge

Members
He is about 3 inches. I got him from a big wholesaler in my area(1500 freshwater tanks, soooo cool until they instituted a $200 minimum). They are usually very good with labeling but not this time.

Thanks for the help y'all.

-G

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

harlowe777

Members
Body not tall enough for borleyi..red shoulder I think because the aulonacara shape..dimond like body..just an opinion..