• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello from Florida

Hello cichlid enthusiasts. I wanted to show you all my 55gal tank and get some feedback as to weather anyone else has combined these particular fish before, successfully of course.
Sensiplum, frontosa, nicaraguan, red banded moori, sulphur head peacock, blue peacock, ob, pleco.

1413741207421.jpg

1413741345066.jpg

1413741537042.jpg

1413741981931.jpg

Leffler817

CCA Members
Welcome to the forum! You have some nice fish and in the long term they will not work out together. If it my tank, I would get another tank and separate the New Worlds from the Old World cichlids.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ading522

Members
Welcome!! Im in Fl too. Winter Haven area. Moved from the DC area a couple of months ago. Are there any cichlid clubs you belong to down here?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome to the forum!

It may work for a while. One thing you have going for you is the lack of pairs of fish in the tank.

I am not sure how aggressive that Vieja will be without a another in the tank, but you need to watch out for him. He will likely take a shining (either in a good way or a very bad way) towards your Nic. Hopefully, he will ignore the other fish as just things he doesn't recognize.

A single Tropheus will also just sort of do their thing unless there is something that looks a bit like them.... seen them go after mbuna. The Frontosa will also do the same thing.

Of all the fish in your tank to worry about, your peacocks (especially the Aulonocara maylandi) would be the target. Even in mixed male Malawi tanks, maylandi does not do well. It is best kept in a species-only tank.

I assume you are just using tap water?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The synspilum will out grow a 55 before too long. As Tony said, it is a diverse mix of fish that may or may not work out long term.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I have 4 other tanks im working out a plan for. I have a 75 gallon reef tank, a freshwater 30 gal semi aggressive grow up tank, a fw 10 gallon cichlid grow up tank and a 180gal that im in the process of buying/setting up sand and rock work for .

Out of all the tanks i find myself still drawn to the 55. The kind of personality and attitudes this group exhibits make them VERY interesting. The sensipilum is the mediator/ the muscle.
My (Tropheus) red banded moori has allways been tiny but he is Super fistey. He tries the sensipilum nipping her tail once in a blue moon till she turn around and he runs for the hills. He also tries to flutter his tail and intimidate the blue peacock.
The Nicaraguan took forever to show his blues, he ownes the bridge and most of the bottom, super ballsy, allways flareing up. The frontosa has seemed to peacefully just claim the log and noone really questions that. He is the quiet, good neighbor, for the most part.
The blue peacock is the most aggresive of the mid water dwellers. He chases the aulonocara mylandi once in a while during day time. The Ob had 35 babbies, 25 are now about .25in long. (Ob) She now chases the aulonocara once in a while also, and she is TINY, like 1/3rd his size, and he will not confront her.
The blue peacock owns most of the right side of the tank, super dominant.
I believe the ob mate to be a peacock, probably the blue, but who knows! Lol. It's a mystery.

Wil show pics of babbies once they grow.

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sounds like an interesting dynamic... and worst case scenario, you have other tanks to move stuff to if it hits the fan.

So yeah, I'd say leave them how they are and see what happens. :)

Cheers.

Welcome

Welcome Polar, as a Fronts owner myself you might want to start working on getting yourself a larger tank in the near future for that nice looking Front of yours. I had my three Fronts in a 55 and upgraded them to my 75 wide temporally until I get my 120 up and running.
I only say this because your Front looks larger then mine and from what I have learned and still learning they will need their space, just my .02. Your tank looks great by the way...