• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What size tank for first time?

SnoopFrogg

Members
Never kept africans (seriously) before... What size tank would be ideal for a display for some peacocks, lemon jake, yellow labs, red empress etc.? I have a 40B empty but I assume that is way to small... I see all you guys and really want to get into this cichlid stuff... breeding etc. Where should I start? Maybe with some smaller stuff?

Tangcollector

Staff member
IMO, for a display tank of african haps and peacocks I wouldn't go below a 75. Over filter it and pack enough in there to spread out the aggression. Good luck.

iamzrad

Members
You can start with a 55gal with mbuna's but I'd go with a 75gal if you want "show" peacocks and larger fish.

Reed

Very Fishe
75 gallon is a great size tank for Africans. You can keep almost any African in it

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Yup, I agree. 75-125 gallons is wise. They get larger 6-8 inches or more in some species and can get very agressive. You need two sources of filtration (I used two HOB's) and the flow rate must be VERY good. They display their best colors only when they are in good quality water. Beautiful options, but lots of killers, so make sure you do your research before choosing tank mates.