• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

african cichlid 20gallon

ErnieG

Members
Yes they get along great lol,I don't u understand why anyone wouldn't do this mix they are relatively the same size side. Plus both are from tanganyika.

chriscoli

Administrator
Zack, The reason I don't keep this combination is because they may compete for the same spawning sites. Both might use the shells. In this case, If there are enough spawning sites, its likely to work though. It's the same reason that I don't like keeping breeding pairs of plecos in with my apistos....they end up competing for the same cave or coconut shell. Sometimes I have even found that although I offer multiple spawning sites, the apistos get bullied out of their cave by the plecos although there are others available. Nobody gets hurt but one species or both don't spawn well.

Punks are called semi-shelldwellers. they are normally spawn in crevices between and under rocks (or other decorations)....they'll also use shells if that's easier. I keep my punks with other rock dwellers and offer them shells so that they have options. Here, I suspect it'll be the opposite. They may take the rocks for spawning and leave the shells to the multis.

Ernie, are you seeing the punks tending to choose shells or rocks in your tank?

ErnieG

Members
Zack, The reason I don't keep this combination is because they may compete for the same spawning sites. Both might use the shells. In this case, If there are enough spawning sites, its likely to work though. It's the same reason that I don't like keeping breeding pairs of plecos in with my apistos....they end up competing for the same cave or coconut shell. Sometimes I have even found that although I offer multiple spawning sites, the apistos get bullied out of their cave by the plecos although there are others available. Nobody gets hurt but one species or both don't spawn well.

Punks are called semi-shelldwellers. they are normally spawn in crevices between and under rocks (or other decorations)....they'll also use shells if that's easier. I keep my punks with other rock dwellers and offer them shells so that they have options. Here, I suspect it'll be the opposite. They may take the rocks for spawning and leave the shells to the multis.

Ernie, are you seeing the punks tending to choose shells or rocks in your tank?

They are using the shells, I put tons of spawning sites in my tank so I wouldn't have a spawning site feud. A lot of problems that some of you guys experience I never experience because I setup my tanks with plenty of spawning sites.
The way u setup your tanks plays a big part in your cichlids personality, I had this pair of pinks in a 55gallon with 22 other cichlids and the had their babies free swimming in the open and no one eat the babies.