• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tropheops question

npbarca

Members
I have the chance to get a few different species of Wild caught Tropheops. I was wondering if I could fit 2 groups in the same 55 gallon tank. The groups would be 2m/5f of Mauve Yellow and 1m/4f of non-OB Makokola. They would all be around 3.5 inches.

Should I just stick with one group, or could I do both groups without the chance of hybridization?

Cichlid Lips

Members
Keeping it real just getting them to get along is going to be an issue at that size unless they have been raised together. If they haven't been together there will be certain death.

Trops don't play real nice with new house guests once they are about 2".

That said, I'd still just get a second tank and get them both. Could still give it a shot for a few days and see if they play nice but have a backup plan in place.
:D

npbarca

Members
I think I will just get the Mauve Yellow for the 55. Ratio would be 2m/7m. They are wild caught, and have been in quarantine in Germany for a while now. I assume that once I introduce them together, they should be fine. I'm not new to aggressive mbuna, as I have been keeping Pseudotropehus Saulosi. From my research, Tropheops are very similar in care.

Leffler817

CCA Members
You could do 7 Mauves in a 40br with lots of rockwork and put 5 Makokolas in a 29. Also, doing one big group of Mauves in a 55 would be a nice tank.

Tropheops are funny. IMO they are like a pit bull. Great dog nice as all get out until 'something' snaps and then it's a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

npbarca

Members
Shawn,
I would get more females, but he only has 6 females available. I don't have a spare tank for the Makokola, and i can't add any more to the circuit of my fish room until I run another outlet into the room.

Jason,
Yes, it is with the German order.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Gotcha! You'll have fry in no time. 8 fish in a 55 will allow you to add another group of fish or some syno cats.