• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Cichlids of Madagascar

AquaStudent

Members
I'm at a crossroads with my African cichlid aquarium. I had two species of fish, Labidochromis caeruleus and Pseudotropheus(Metriaclima) elongatus. My group of 5 elongatus was all males (Crazy misfortune, right?!) so I ended up selling all but the best two males. My Labs have been breeding like crazy.

I've lost interest in breeding yellow labs (They're so common that it's hard to move them and they've been poked and probed so often in the hobby that the excitement is gone).

I'm looking to order a group of elongatus from Jay but I was also thinking of taking the tank in a completely different direction.

Madagascar cichlids caught my attention when I was thinking of stocking ideas for my 135. Does anybody have any suggestions for Madagascan cichlids that'd enjoy a 55G aquarium? Most that I have seen tend to be on the larger side.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Ptychochromis oligacanthus or sp. "East Coast Gold" are both around the hobby and much better fit for a 4' or even 6' tank than the larger Paretroplus.

Matt

AquaStudent

Members
Both of those are quite nice. I was looking at a video of some East Coast Gold this morning.

Hmmm...then there's always the option of trying to upgrade to something like a 75... :D Too much, too much.

AquaStudent

Members
Tangs are the strangest fish in freshwater. I haven't decided if I like them or not. There are some funky looking fishes there.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A 55g Tang community with a pile of rocks each for groups of brichardi-type Neolamps and Julies... Both will populate the tank with several generations in short order.

Or a 55g with shellies on the bottom and Cyps up top.

Either of those tanks would be easy to maintain, attractive and a good fit for a 55g.

Matt

Tangs are the strangest fish in freshwater. I haven't decided if I like them or not. There are some funky looking fishes there.

AquaStudent

Members
WHAT?:beamup: I can't believe you might not like Tangs!
Tangs rock!;)

Haha! I like them! They are the most unique looking fish in freshwater.

etf-364.jpg

Look at that thing! It's an alien.

Tangs would be a nice change of pace from Malawis. I had some shellies in the 55g for about a day but decided to give them to another hobbyiest.

I am a huge fan of Julis.