• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Shrimp question

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hey guys, I'm planing on purchasing some red rili shrimp and some blue pearl shrimp and I wanted to know if they'd be ok with some sword tails and ancistrus. I plan on breeding them so even if they cant eat the big shrimp, I dont want them to eat the shrimplets. I'm not too worried about the ancistrus but Im very worried about the sword tails. I was planning on keeping some with some adult xiphophorus nezahucoyotl and some with some adult xiphophorus mayae. I also have some wild type neocaridinia that I wanted to move over to my tank with my wild type xiphophorus variatus "la mintza". The tanks have an abundance of hornwort so the shrimp and fry have a place to hide. The nezahucoyotl and the mayae are in 20 longs and the variatus are in a 15 and I dont have any ancistrus with the variatus. Thanks!

Becca

Members
If you have loads of java moss, some will survive, but you're much better off keeping them with something REALLY small. I like white clouds with my shrimp.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zackcrack00

Members
I like white clouds with my shrimp.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Funny, I prefer cocktail sauce. ;)

Dan, I keep a healthy population of red cherries with my P. signatus, eels. barbs, and ancistrus. All of those fish stay near the bottom and the shrimp like the driftwood at the top. They've been in there 3 weeks now and the ones that go to the bottom are snacks but all of the others are fine.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Don't keep the shrimp together. They are both neocardinia. You'll end up with nondescript brown shrimp.

Blaise

Becca

Members
Funny, I prefer cocktail sauce. ;)

Dan, I keep a healthy population of red cherries with my P. signatus, eels. barbs, and ancistrus. All of those fish stay near the bottom and the shrimp like the driftwood at the top. They've been in there 3 weeks now and the ones that go to the bottom are snacks but all of the others are fine.

Are you seeing any babies, though?

Also, the shrimp Dan is getting would make awfully expensive snacks.

Also Dan, Blaise is right, those shrimp will interbreed if you keep them together and you'll just get wild-type shrimp.

zackcrack00

Members
Are you seeing any babies, though?

Also, the shrimp Dan is getting would make awfully expensive snacks.

Yes, I see the ones that stay near the top. And yes, they would make expensive snacks. I am trying to get some shrimp from Rachael sometime soon, I just need to set up a tank and pay my mom the money I owe her. (I accidentally wrecked a golf cart into the side of the house, I have to pay to fix it)

Becca

Members
Yes, I see the ones that stay near the top. And yes, they would make expensive snacks. I am trying to get some shrimp from Rachael sometime soon, I just need to set up a tank and pay my mom the money I owe her. (I accidentally wrecked a golf cart into the side of the house, I have to pay to fix it)

You will have to tell me THAT story sometime.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Thanks for all the info guys. I wasnt planning on keeping both varieties of shrimp together because I knew it would lead to some weird hybrids that I wouldnt be able to sell.
(I accidentally wrecked a golf cart into the side of the house, I have to pay to fix it)

How did that happen? :)

zackcrack00

Members
Okay so here I go:
I went to take the golf cart out to feed the goats. I went over, got the food and drove over to the goat pen. I fed them, played with them for a few minutes, and then left. My sister tried to grab the golf cart and run but i pushed her off of it and got on. She started running and I, being the best brother I can be, chased her around the yard in a golf cart. I went up the hill next to the house to turn around and chase her, but I accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake. I accelerated at about 20 mph into a house. I got out and the first words that came out of her mouth were "I'm telling mom". We play tag with each other on them all the time, but I guess that one went a little wrong.:blush:

Long story short, there are rub marks on the cart from the house, a flat tire, a bent body, a broken frame, and only one headlight.

Anyone looking for a valet car-parker? :D

Becca

Members
Okay so here I go:
I went to take the golf cart out to feed the goats. I went over, got the food and drove over to the goat pen. I fed them, played with them for a few minutes, and then left. My sister tried to grab the golf cart and run but i pushed her off of it and got on. She started running and I, being the best brother I can be, chased her around the yard in a golf cart. I went up the hill next to the house to turn around and chase her, but I accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake. I accelerated at about 20 mph into a house. I got out and the first words that came out of her mouth were "I'm telling mom". We play tag with each other on them all the time, but I guess that one went a little wrong.:blush:

Long story short, there are rub marks on the cart from the house, a flat tire, a bent body, a broken frame, and only one headlight.

Anyone looking for a valet car-parker? :D

Z, don't you know you're not supposed to make THAT mistake for another 60-70 years?

There's even a song about it...

"Hit the gas, instead of the break, another old guy makes a big mistake!"