• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How to Euthanize a tank?

Becca

Members
Can anyone tell me how much clove oil it will take to euthanize a 29 gallon tank and where to get clove oil?

I had a few days with no losses in the 29, but now the two types of fish that were previously unaffected are showing signs of whatever.

I'm just going to nuke the tank and sterilize it.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I highly recommend euthanizing the fish in a separate container that you can either clean or throw away. Additionally, you won't need as much as you would in the 29 and the fish will be affected much quicker in something smaller.

I have a bottle of clove oil and could give you some if you'd like. I'm home all day today and tomorrow.

As far as the amount, I pulled this off another forum. When I've used it in the past, I have frozen the fish after just to be sure.

1.) Get yourself an empty milk or water gallon jug, cut out the top of it so it's wide enough to put a fish into it easily. Then fill it up with water from the same tank your fish is in & add the fish to the jug.*

2.) Mix 3 drops of clove oil into 1 cup of water. Once you've mixed the clove oil & 1 cup of water thoroughly, add it to the gallon jug with the fish in it. Within a couple of minutes you should see your fish get "sleepy" (e.g. swimming wobbly).*

When you see this you can go ahead and add another 3 drops to the jug. Your fish should then float up to the top like it's dead, but it still might be breathing. Wait another 2 - 3 minutes & add another 3 drops & observe. Your fish should be dead by now, but if not, then go ahead and add a few more drops until it is no longer breathing. The amount of clove oil you'll need will vary from fish to fish.

The key is to introduce the clove oil gradually (not all in one shot) in order to minimize the stress to your fish.*

When your done throw out the gallon jug. Clove oil is potent & being an oil it's hard to rinse off well.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Dang... They are so much easier to catch when they're dead... I guess I'll start by unplugging the extra heater and lowering the temp on the other gradually throughout the day to at least slow them down a bit. I guess I can also start piling driftwood in a bin of salt water.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Other than clove oil just thought people from my moms part of the DR used cassava/yucca skin the pink part to stun fish in streams.

Hope all is okay, you seem to be handling it well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
Other than clove oil just thought people from my moms part of the DR used cassava/yucca skin the pink part to stun fish in streams.

Hope all is okay, you seem to be handling it well.

Yes, yucca contains cyanide if not properly cooked and can be bad for people and animals alike.

I wouldn't say I'm handling it well. I just reached the point of acceptance. I think I'm done with this tank, though. It will get sterilized and put into permanent retirement or sold to someone who thinks bleach can get rid of curses...

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Yes, yucca contains cyanide if not properly cooked and can be bad for people and animals alike.

I wouldn't say I'm handling it well. I just reached the point of acceptance. I think I'm done with this tank, though. It will get sterilized and put into permanent retirement or sold to someone who thinks bleach can get rid of curses...

Curse made me think of incense vodou etc...then lead me to think can you drain and dry the tank light a cigar, cigaret, something like that and smoke the inside of tank to kill everything? Crazy train of thought I know.

dogofwar

CCA Members
No need to kill the fish. Just put them in a spare tank / rubbermaid bin or whatever with a sponge filter and a heater.

For the tank, the easiest thing is to bleach it.

Matt

Localzoo

Board of Directors
No need to kill the fish. Just put them in a spare tank / rubbermaid bin or whatever with a sponge filter and a heater.

For the tank, the easiest thing is to bleach it.

Matt

I think since it is a unknown cause and the amount of fish and plants she has she doesn't feel like its worth the risk. If the cause was known then prob would be a different story.

dogofwar

CCA Members
That's kind of the point: Put the fish someplace that's sterile (other than a cycled sponge and maybe some plastic plants) and keep an eye on them. Maybe you'll figure out what's afflicting them...or if it was just the conditions in the tank.

Give the plants a bath in bleach water before rinsing / de-chloring and add them to the quarantine tank, if you'd like.

...and bleach the tank / decorations, etc. before re-setting up and starting over.

Matt

I think since it is a unknown cause and the amount of fish and plants she has she doesn't feel like its worth the risk. If the cause was known then prob would be a different story.

Becca

Members
That's kind of the point: Put the fish someplace that's sterile (other than a cycled sponge and maybe some plastic plants) and keep an eye on them. Maybe you'll figure out what's afflicting them...or if it was just the conditions in the tank.

Give the plants a bath in bleach water before rinsing / de-chloring and add them to the quarantine tank, if you'd like.

...and bleach the tank / decorations, etc. before re-setting up and starting over.

Matt

I am going to try the plants in bleach water. I can give the shrimp a brief salt dip and quarantine them with the plants, I guess.

As for the fish. I have a perfectly healthy school of green eye rasboras. I have lost at least one of EVERY TYPE OF FISH in that tank except for them.

My fear is that they are carrying, but otherwise immune to, whatever killed the other fish.

My losses have slowed, but I'm still losing 1 fish every 1-2 days. One of the recent losses showed hemorrhaging in the head area.

I lowered temps gradually yesterday, and removed heaters today. The tank is empty except for the fish, substrate, and filter.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Well remove (and quarantine) the rasboras and see what happens.

Matt

I am going to try the plants in bleach water. I can give the shrimp a brief salt dip and quarantine them with the plants, I guess.

As for the fish. I have a perfectly healthy school of green eye rasboras. I have lost at least one of EVERY TYPE OF FISH in that tank except for them.

My fear is that they are carrying, but otherwise immune to, whatever killed the other fish.

My losses have slowed, but I'm still losing 1 fish every 1-2 days. One of the recent losses showed hemorrhaging in the head area.

I lowered temps gradually yesterday, and removed heaters today. The tank is empty except for the fish, substrate, and filter.

Becca

Members
Well remove (and quarantine) the rasboras and see what happens.

Matt

To see what happens, I'd have to remove them, quarantine them, and then add healthy fish at some later date to see if the other fish start dying... wouldn't I?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - good idea. Establish a quarantine tank with the rasboras, keep an eye on them for awhile...and then add some other (quarantined, healthy) fish to see how the new fish fare.

Matt