• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

De in filter

Diatomaceous earth (D.E.) is used in pool filters. For filtering out particals has anyone used a filter like this for fish tanks or ponds.

Never used one myslf but I have seen DE sold for the aquarium hobby. It is a very basic principle the stuff is almost identical to sand and is used in the same way as people use sand filters.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Haven't seen one in 10 years. Someone I know used to have one that he used once a week. DE is really sharp and kills creepy crawlies that can infest water and infect fish (think Ich).

It is also useful for keeping bugs out of your house, etc. Really interesting and useful stuff.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I've seen it everywhere even as flea and tick powder it's so small it gets into the exoskeleton and renders them paralyzed.
Soo i guess it would wrk in a filter. Never seen one though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ezrk

Members
We have a Vortex D-1 which is a DE filter. It is exceptionally good at water polishing. That said we don't use it all that often...I don't think I would get one for anything other than water polishing.

Sped89

Members
I've used a Magnum 350 with diatom powder for polishing water but this was over 20 years ago. Still have it but haven't used it for a long time.