• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How to Euthanize a tank?

Becca

Members
I guess I can stick them in a rubbermaid bin. That's about all I have for quarantine space right now. I don't want to use a whole 40 breeder on them, that thing is a PITA to bleach b/c of where it is.

I have a clean empty 20 high you can use if you want. Let me know. I"ll be around later today.

You can get clove oil at Whole Foods or other such., like GNC. I use it anytime I have to euthanize, but I agree you don't need to do that quite yet. I don't do it fancy -- I take a plastic container from the store, put tank water in it, put the fish in and start dropping clove oil. They'll thrash for a second and then fall asleep and then I keep adding it beyond that and put it in the freezer for good measure.

Becca

Members
I got clove oil at GNC last night. The guy started talking to me about how to use it with an aromatherapy diffuser and I point-blank told him what I was doing it. He told me I could save $6 and flush them down the toilet, to which I replied "That would be inhumane," and left.

Ugh.

I'm going to euth the other fish and preserve the rasboras in a Sterlite container. I've continued to lose the other fish. Per some advice I received, the plants will get a dip in bleach water and also get quarantined.

Becca

Members
Well... it's done. Tank, driftwood, filter, and heaters are marinating in half a jug of bleach. The rasboras are in a sterlite downstairs with the shrimp and a nerite snail, plants are bleached and in the 40B I use to quarantine larger fish. Beer is to my left, giggling baby to my right... hopefully one will make me feel a little better about this.

neut

Members
Whatever you decide, there was a recent PFK article re: a study of products out there to euthanize fish-- conclusion was clove oil is better than most commercial products. Should be able to get it from a health food store with an essential oils rack-- or online if you weren't in a hurry.

...Just a thought but if I was doing a whole tank (or tub) I think I'd use a water pump (if available) to mix/circulate the clove oil, or a filter sans media.

Last edited:

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
IMHO I believe the best procedure is to put the fish to sleep with clove oil. Then when they are unconscious, move them to a container of saturated salt solution.

The idea it not to cause stress to the fish. SO put them in a fairly small container and add clove oil drop by drop until they are unconscious. Then net them out and place them in a saturated salt solution.

Make the saturated salt solution by putting two cups of salt (rock salt or crystalline salt) in a gallon container and fill with water. Stir until as much salt as can dissolves. Use the clear liquid as the saturated salt solution. Basically nothing can live in saturated salt solution. I use it to disinfect tanks and gravel and wood. I prefer saturated salt solution over bleach.

Becca

Members
I followed Samantha's advice and used a 1-gallon jug with the clove oil, shaking a few drops in a liter of water and slowly adding some every few minutes until the fish stopped moving and then stopped breathing. I left them like that for a couple of hours to make sure they were dead, and continued to add the clove oil mix just to make sure. It sucked. They went pretty peacefully and the first dose of the mixture knocked many of them out without any struggling at all. It still sucked.

The rasboras and shrimp are in a bin with sponge filters, plants are in an empty 40 breeder.

I'm getting rid of the 29 - even though I know it's sterilized and I could start over, I just don't even want to look at it.

blkmjk

Members
I don't do any of this stuff. I usually take a to be put down specimen outside slam them on concrete and it's over. No drugs no suffering. I can't imagine being drugged to death. Or frozen alive or anything like that. My method is quick and I would bet given the reaction time of the nervous system and the speed at which they are hurled to the ground that this is virtually pain less. Like a DOI car crash. Just my 2 cents.

Drew

Becca

Members
I don't do any of this stuff. I usually take a to be put down specimen outside slam them on concrete and it's over. No drugs no suffering. I can't imagine being drugged to death. Or frozen alive or anything like that. My method is quick and I would bet given the reaction time of the nervous system and the speed at which they are hurled to the ground that this is virtually pain less. Like a DOI car crash. Just my 2 cents.

Drew

Drew, these were, for the most part, nano fish. They don't reliably hit the concrete with enough force to kill them.

lkelly

Members
I'm pretty sure that a failure to follow these procedures is what caused the Apocalypse on The Walking Dead.

daninmd

Members

Drew

interesting method. i have usually taken the fish out of the water, put them on a cutting board and quickly cut their spine behind the head. instant death from what i have seen. i might try your method next time (hoping there isn't though)

frankoq

Members
I got clove oil at GNC last night. The guy started talking to me about how to use it with an aromatherapy diffuser and I point-blank told him what I was doing it. He told me I could save $6 and flush them down the toilet, to which I replied "That would be inhumane," and left.

Ugh.

Thanks for the tip Becca. I went to GNC today and found some.
The guy started asking questions and I just said "I don't want to talk about it" :rolleyes: