• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How often does everyone change there filter media

Harleyrider5

Members
I was just curious on the variation on how often everyone changes the media in there filters?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Never. I just use bio and mechanical filter media. I clean out my filters once very 3-6 months, but even the AquaClear HOBs are just sponges and bio-thingies.

I guess if a sponge wears out I'll replace it, but that doesn't happen very often.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Never. I just use bio and mechanical filter media. I clean out my filters once very 3-6 months, but even the AquaClear HOBs are just sponges and bio-thingies.

I guess if a sponge wears out I'll replace it, but that doesn't happen very often.

Same. with good maintenance the sponges last a long long time and the media is a clay or pumice kind of material and even if it breaks up they can still be used

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Most of my canisters only have sponges and ceramic rings in them. I rinse them from time to time, but never change them unless they are too worn to continue using.

Greengirl

Members
I have a whisper Hang on filter with a foam pouch filled with carbon on one tank. I need to replace it every two months since it gets very gummed up. You can't rinse it. But it would last longer if there wasn't so much plant matter floating around getting caught up in it.

I never replace media in my canister filters.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I rarely replace media. The biomedia will last for ages. I have a few AC sponges that have seen better days, but still have a year or more in them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I try to change the fluff (mechanical media) in my box filters and dump filters weekly.

I could rinse it or otherwise re-use it but much quicker to just switch it out...

There have been very long threads about whether all of the stuff that accumulates and - eventually - restricts the flow in a canister filter is good/bad/indifferent.

My vote is bad (and my filter cleaning behavior reflects this) but other disagree :)

Matt

rich_one

Members
I probably use new carbon once every two or three months (taking the old carbon out after a month). I never change sponges or ceramic rings. I just rinse them every couple months or so.

-Rich

If you are talking about mechanical filter media, I change filter pads every 3 to 4 days or as soon as water begins to bypass my Penquen HOBs. I don't use Marineland filter pads which would cost a fortune. Instead, I buy polyester batting from JoAnne Fabric by the yard at very low cost and cut my own pads.

I don't use any biological filter media, so I never have to change it. I provide mechanical filtration only in all my tanks as I consider the substrate, rocks and glass surfaces in my tank in situ biological filter. I consider providing any additional biological filtration to a fresh water tank as unnecessary. For salt water tank, you must have it.