• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Shipping Fish 101 from Ted Judy

jonclark96

Past CCA President
While I have never shipped large fish (about 3" is the biggest I've tried), it really isn't that difficult to do. The biggest hassle for me was finding some time to get away from work and get to the post office before they close at the end of the day. I shipped all via USPS and found that every time, the box did not leave the post office before 6:00 PM regardless of when it was dropped off.

QuarterMiler

Members
While I have never shipped large fish (about 3" is the biggest I've tried), it really isn't that difficult to do. The biggest hassle for me was finding some time to get away from work and get to the post office before they close at the end of the day. I shipped all via USPS and found that every time, the box did not leave the post office before 6:00 PM regardless of when it was dropped off.

I agree. I used to get up early and bag and box them before I went to work, then have my wife drop them at the PO. When I realized they just sat there, I started doing it after work and they get to the PO at 4:30 ans still went out on time. 10-11 hours less in the bag and less hassle than trying to bag and pack at 5:30AM before my morning coffee!

verbal

CCA Members
I agree. I used to get up early and bag and box them before I went to work, then have my wife drop them at the PO. When I realized they just sat there, I started doing it after work and they get to the PO at 4:30 ans still went out on time. 10-11 hours less in the bag and less hassle than trying to bag and pack at 5:30AM before my morning coffee!

Agree 100% on drop fish off late afternoon.

One recent improvement by the Post Office is the 1 day zone for Priority mail. It isn't as big as Fed Ex Ground, but it probably covers 3/4 of CCA members(MD, VA, DC). The regional A and B boxes are great for shipping fish since they charge for 2 or 4 pounds even if they weigh more. The size C box would be a great size, but the charge is ridiculous - something over 20 lbs.

Shipping to someone in the 1 day zone means the fish should be in transit less than 20 hours, especially with post office pick up. Packing isn't really much harder than packing well for an auction.

JasonC

Members
Maybe its just me, but at the end of video 2, I was totally expecting him to sign off with "Till next time, this is Bob Villa for This Old House.."

Someones got a little bit of celebrity lookalike w/ that beard ;P

But honestly, these videos are *really* good...

QuarterMiler

Members
Agree 100% on drop fish off late afternoon.

One recent improvement by the Post Office is the 1 day zone for Priority mail. It isn't as big as Fed Ex Ground, but it probably covers 3/4 of CCA members(MD, VA, DC). The regional A and B boxes are great for shipping fish since they charge for 2 or 4 pounds even if they weigh more. The size C box would be a great size, but the charge is ridiculous - something over 20 lbs.

Shipping to someone in the 1 day zone means the fish should be in transit less than 20 hours, especially with post office pick up. Packing isn't really much harder than packing well for an auction.

True. My one gripe with them is that it seems like there are less places that they ship next day Express to. 2 day priority express is a joke, 2-3 x's the cost, when you can ship standard 2 day priority and have it get there the same day.

dogofwar

CCA Members
My biggest gripe is with individual shippers - whether they be USPS, FedEx or UPS - deciding that you're not allowed to ship fish. Especially when you're shipping someone a box labeled "live fish" that already has their shipping label on it (from when it was sent to me).

Matt

QuarterMiler

Members
My biggest gripe is with individual shippers - whether they be USPS, FedEx or UPS - deciding that you're not allowed to ship fish. Especially when you're shipping someone a box labeled "live fish" that already has their shipping label on it (from when it was sent to me).

Matt

Ditto. I tried UPS a couple of times, and both times I was told it has to be next day air shipping. Their policy clearly states ANY service that delivers next day, which includes ground inside the one day zone. I generally try to avoid them. I even had USPS question me about shipping them too, but, at least at my PO, they learned it's OK, and the lady knows me now.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I will NEVER, EVER ship with UPS again...after they decided to leave a box of fish in a shipping container at their hub 20 minutes from me...over a long weekend.

I gave them the choice: Let me get it or lose my business forever. At least 4 levels of UPS "customer service" management chose the latter. Boycott since July 2011.

Matt

Forester

Members
I used to always use USPS but now I have been using FedEx and it has been working great. Since FedEx will pick up the package at your house I don't have to go anywhere to drop it off.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zenins

Members
You never know if Ted might be a speaker at a CCA meeting in 2014... ;)

Matt

I highly recommend getting Ted in as a speaker.
I enjoyed two presentations he did at a neighbouring club back in November.
He is a great speaker and his photos are excellent, especially his collecting trips :)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - we've brought him in to speak in the past... We haven't unveiled the 2014 list yet, though :)

Matt

I highly recommend getting Ted in as a speaker.
I enjoyed two presentations he did at a neighbouring club back in November.
He is a great speaker and his photos are excellent, especially his collecting trips :)

QuarterMiler

Members
My biggest gripe with UPS and FedEx is that they are insanely expensive for overnight shipping, even for a small package with my wife's business discount. More often that not, that either kills the deal or the buyer elects for 2 day USPS Priority, which I've had very good luck with.