• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Heat

How do you heat the fish room

• I heat the room

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I heat the tank

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • I heat the central filtration system

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I heat the room and the tanks

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chriscoli

Administrator
In the old house, I had fewer tanks and no door to the fish room, so I heated the tanks. In the winter the house had a very comfortable humidity level.

In the new house I heat the room but I don't try to maintain a really warm room. I aim to keep the lowest level of the racks at at least 70.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mchambers

Former CCA member
I do the tanks. Most of the year, I only heat two of the tanks. In the dead of winter, almost all the tanks have a heater in them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
My fishroom is in the basement. I heat a few tanks but leave most of them at the temp of the room...

Matt

Becca

Members
I heat the tank because my ************ husband won't let me heat the room.

Also, I do keep some cold water fish, so they probably appreciate that I'm not heating the whole room.

JLW

CCA Members
I heat the room because no line on earth could support that level of amperage.

I don't have a fish room, but have 2 tanks in the living area, 2 tanks in the heated section of the basement, and 2 tanks in the unheated section of the basement. All my tanks have heaters, but I only sized them to raise the ambient temperature by no more than 10F. The difference between heating the tank versus heating the room is the evaporation rate. In winter time, the evaporation rate is highest in the unheated basement, next in the heated basement, and least in the living area corresponding to increasing ambient temp or decreasing temperature differential. In summer time, there is no difference.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I heat the room; rotating between a dehumidifier and a space heater. All but 4 of my tanks are in an enclosed room; the rest are in a part of the finished basement. Those tanks don't have a heater unless temps get below 70 in the house, but most don't seem to mind.

Hicgup

Members
I heat the room. Back when I was showing guppies it became obvious instantly that it is better and cheaper to heat one room than buy 80 heaters. If a tank or two requires warmer temps than can always add a heater or two.

Hicgup

Members
I heat the room; rotating between a dehumidifier and a space heater. All but 4 of my tanks are in an enclosed room; the rest are in a part of the finished basement. Those tanks don't have a heater unless temps get below 70 in the house, but most don't seem to mind.

Plus a big one :D for the dehumidifier that also adds heat. :)

rich_one

Members
Well, I don't have a "fish room", but I have 4 monster tanks and 2 40 breeders that border my basement. All of my tanks are individually heated.

-Rich