• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AM4

Becca

Members
Personally, I'd love to see it move to late March/early April to hopefully avoid weather situations like we've had the past couple of years. Getting around last year was outright dangerous.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
Sometimes the dates aren't up to us. If we plan 2 or more years out and pay two to three times what we did last year, we could have had a better date. It's a trade off. And then as Shawn mentioned, we run into holidays and other club's events.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Late March or early April would conflict with Easter. Later in April, maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Easter is always a pain because it moves with the moon.
Then you have the NEC event. It moves each year based on Easter.
While its far enough away that it would not really effect attendance much, it would effect our vendors.
YFS, COA, Jeff Rapps, all go to NEC. There are others that I am forgetting, Im sure.
The Board will, I'm sure, make the best decision. That's what we have them for. LOL
If its the same weekend, or not. I should be there.

(Oh and I can think of 6 people who attended last year that go to NEC) And the NEC is not the only one to contend with.

Tangcollector

Staff member
Bad weather is a hit or miss obstacle. Contending with other events is not. I would assume you would not want to contend at all with other events to maximize attendance of both vendors and hobbyists. Just my $.02.

Becca

Members
Easter is always a pain because it moves with the moon.
Then you have the NEC event. It moves each year based on Easter.
While its far enough away that it would not really effect attendance much, it would effect our vendors.
YFS, COA, Jeff Rapps, all go to NEC. There are others that I am forgetting, Im sure.
The Board will, I'm sure, make the best decision. That's what we have them for. LOL
If its the same weekend, or not. I should be there.

(Oh and I can think of 6 people who attended last year that go to NEC) And the NEC is not the only one to contend with.

I also recall that some of the vendors/speakers either couldn't make it or left early last year.

Not looking to start an argument or anything, but I thought it was in April the first year and, after last year, pushing it past the worst of winter didn't seem like a bad idea.

I'll show up, regardless.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kevin911

Members
I'm curious how much did the venue cost for AM3 at Hilton Gaithersburg? Please pm me.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Leffler817

CCA Members
I forgot about NEC. I was selfishly trying to avoid early April because my wife and son have early April birthdays. :D

JLW

CCA Members
As a vendor, I will say that the weather last year was definitely not cooperative. Not only did the ice-storm keep a lot of people at home, but the temperature makes transporting live fish kind of a pain. I wouldn't mind seeing the BFD move from late Feb / early March to a few weeks later.

While the weather is unpredictable, you can predict that February is going to be cold and nasty. :)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
In years past, the cost of the hotel literally doubles if you move the event 2 weeks. We are trying to work with the hotel to reach a cost point that makes sense for the club for this year.

While I'd also love an event that is in early spring with beautiful weather, we would have to increase the price of attendance significantly.

PM me if you have questions.

Jay

CCA Members
Aqua Mania 2016?

Is there going to be an event next year? Have you looked into other locations if the fee at this particular hotel is too high. Warmer weather would be better; but, I understand, cost cannot out way benefit. Do you think you might get a better deal and a better date to the north around the BWI or Baltimore Area? Just a thought.
As a vendor, I would hate to see this event go away. It is a big money maker for me. Once I know the date, I will be there for the vendor part as long as you do not move it to the south and out of range for me to drive. If you do not do the event, have you given any thought to doing a vendor plus a noted speaker or speakers event in stead at your normal location. There is a lot of room in the back for vendors. Maybe make one of your meetings longer, have the vendors from 11:00 am. or 12:00 noon to 3:00 followed by a short break and then a big name speaker or speakers depending on the length you can get the locations for such a meeting.
Another idea would be to do two days Saturday/Sunday, one with the speakers and other events like you hold now and the the second day for the Vendors and more speakers at the normal meeting place to save cost.
People could consider several hotels in the area that way that are near by your Silver Spring Location.
Just some ideas to float around. Please do not let this event go away.
Jay