• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Large Tank Filter

AquaStudent

Members
I'm curious what yall use for filters on your larger tanks. I will be getting a 135g at the end of the week and want to plan out filtration.

I'll probably have a heavy bioload with large SA cichlids.

For options there's always the commercial FX6 (FX5's are hard to find now).

One of those filters will run about $330. It's strong, easy, and fairly powerful.

Advantages: Easy, reliable, fairly simple maintenance, powerful, simple set-up

Disadvantages: Price, limited media (although still good), lack of isolation chamber

large-FX6.jpg

Another option would be to build a sump.

Advantages: DIY, customaziable, media capacity (could be more or less than the FX6), less expensive, fish isolation area (possible), hide equipment

Disadvantages: DIY, more complicated set-up, more potential flood risk, more weight on floor

Note: I haven't measured the stand yet. I've only seen it in pictures and could estimate it's size compared to the tank.

One sketch of a design -

Pricing estimates:

Used 30ish gallon tank ~ $15-30 (yes...large error bars)
A pump would probably run $80-130 depending on if I went for a MagDrive 9.5 or 12 (~$65 for a MD7)
Additional acrylic pieces to what I already have - $25
PVC for Overflows - $10
PVC extras - $10
PVC cement - $5

Others:
K1 Fluidized Bed media - $15
Blue Bio Balls - $10
Whisper100 Air Pump - $19

I also was looking at some of the Eheim filters but ones powerful enough for this tank are out of my price range.

Last edited:

verbal

CCA Members
A used FX5 isn't a bad way to start. If decide to switch to a sump, you should be able to get a good amount of the purchase price back on a used FX5.

DBLN8

Members
On my 120 tall (5' tank) with a 13" Oscar and 6 silver dollars, I run 2 fluval 405's and a DIY 29 gallon sump.

kevin911

Members
A couple of things to consider :

If you were to build a sump, you may only able to recoup 20% of the money you put into it.

Fx6 were at $249 net at Dr. Foster Smith

A brand name model sump wet dry, whatever you put in to buy it, you can just resell it when you are done. Pretty much 80-90% ROI

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ddavila06

Members
i would do two fluval 406s. only because they are easier to clean/maintain. i never owned an fx5 but i have seem their insides..too much!
when i had my 125 a few years ago, it was kept pristine by two 405s.

AquaStudent

Members
I had priced out dual Fluval 406s and that'd be $400.

Likewise the Eheim UltraG 160s are 200 each (I'd probably need two)

Eheim Pro3 1200XL is 350 on Drs. F+S.

The $50 rebate on Drs. F+S on the FX6 is very nice.

I've been comparing prices on Drs. F+S, Amazon, and Ken's. YFS doesn't seem to have much else to add. Is there anywhere else I could look (other than the CCA Marketplace)?

Thanks for all your input guys. I like to hear about what other people are running, what's going well, and what doesn't work well.

Used FX5s can be had for $125. I see people posting them for $200 all the time...offer what you're comfortable paying with the explanation and understanding that a replacement motor is going to cost $80+ if/when it fails, and the fx5 is basically end-of-lifed and fx6 is the new option. However, I also consider what is included (biomax, sponges, etc) as these items only add to your expense if not already included.

I currently run 3 AC110s on a 150, two FX5s on a 220, a rena 4 basket on a 125, an FX5 on a heavily stocked 75, two Cascade 700s on a 150 (adding third when I get hoses). In all cases I also have multiple sponge filters helping with bio.

Used Canister filters and quality HOBs can be found at very reasonable rates, but you have to be willing to drive in some cases.

Best of luck in your search!

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
On my 120 (5 footer) I run 2 AC110's, an Eheim 2028, and a couple sponges. Pretty sure I'd be fine with just the AC's and the sponges, but I already had the 2028 seeded and ready to go.

If this isn't a show tank, then you can go with a dump filter.

Acpape0

Members
I am all for multiple types/ back up filtration.

On my 125 I run a aqualine 200 wet dry sump,fluval fx5, and a fluval 305.
On my 90 I run a sunsun 304b and a emperor 400.

I actually like the sunsun better than the fx5. 525 Gph built in uv, spray bar and surface skimmer included.. At about $100 you can't beat it ... And this leaves extra $ for a backup/extra filter in the tank check it out you won't be disappointed. If you can budget in a professional made sump I would go that route...DIY sumps have almost no resale value IMO

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I am all for multiple types/ back up filtration.

On my 125 I run a aqualine 200 wet dry sump,fluval fx5, and a fluval 305.
On my 90 I run a sunsun 304b and a emperor 400.

I actually like the sunsun better than the fx5. 525 Gph built in uv, spray bar and surface skimmer included.. At about $100 you can't beat it ... And this leaves extra $ for a backup/extra filter in the tank check it out you won't be disappointed. If you can budget in a professional made sump I would go that route...DIY sumps have almost no resale value IMO

I've often wondered about the sunsun as I've heard mixed reviews. I'm now wishing I didn't pass up some of the deals I've seen on CL. have you seen any issues using polyfill in them?

Matt

Acpape0

Members
Nope...I really wish I had bought another one of those instead of my fx5...the surface skimmer works better than the fluval one on my 305.. I really like the included spray bar... I ordered mine off of eBay but that fish place in pa stocks them on the shelf under the aqua top brand

Becca

Members
We got each of our 2217 filters used for less than $90. Actually, I think we only paid $60 for one of them.

One came off EBay, the other, Craig's list.