• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

shipping fish advice

Jmty

Members
s&h 101 all info needed ,where to purchase bags,styrofoam and any info that you can pass if grated appreciate,thanks.

daninmd

Members
only done it a few times. you can usually buy the styrofoam boxes from a LFS since they get their fish in them. you can buy the bags online from a number of places as well.

dont feed the fish for at least 2-3 days before shipping to decrease the amount of waste in the bag. double bag the fish. i think the rule is about 1/3 of the bag being filled with water. make sure to add some type of ammonia reducer to the water in the bags as well. dont overcrowd the bags and wait till the last minute to bag them up and ship them out. with the hot weather right now, might make sense to add a small cool pack to the box as well. online vendors use pure oxygen to fill the bags, but not sure how important that really is, i would insist on overnight am delivery or air cargo as well.

daninmd

Members
the one time i used one i just used the kind you buy at CVS. you crack the tube in the packet and shake it up. they come in 12 hour packs i believe.

JLW

CCA Members
How many fish are you shipping?
Unless you are shipping A LOT of fish, you don't want to ship in a styro from the LFS. It'll break your piggy bank. They're bigger than 12" on a side, so you pay for the volume you use, as well as the weight. You'll pay $30 or more to ship it empty.

What you want to do is get some styrofoam sheets and line the inside of a regular box for a smaller shipment. You can buy them at home depot for insulation. Cut them so they're tight, and they work just as good. Heck, even if they're not a super tight fit, they work just as well -- I'm pretty sloppy with my cuts. You can also fill the box with peanuts to add extra insulation. (Tony, put the jar of planters down, that's NOT what I meant by peanuts).

You can get bags at your LFS, or order breather bags, which are great for MOST fish (except anabantoids). Most stores will give you a bag or two, but either buy something while you're there, or give them a couple of bucks for the bags; bags do cost money, and it adds up.

Double bag your fish.

Double bag your fish.

And while you're at it, you might want to consider double bagging your fish.

Don't use a cold pack. Unless you're shipping a very large box, chances are it'll rest against a bag and make that bag very cold. Cold packs are for larger boxes, not smaller.

(I'm assuming you're sending someone like 3 fish or something).

Bag with as much air as possible. I don't use pure oxygen, as I have never seen any significant benefit for most properly bagged fish with it. Okay, you're shipping a bag with 200 fish in it, or 6 12" koi, or something like that, yes, it helps... but shipping a bag with a reasonable number and size of fish? Makes no difference.

Or, if you're really intimidated, give your fish to a professional shipper to do it for you. I suggest Batfish Aquatics. ;)

verbal

CCA Members
If you have something lined-up by Tuesday, I can guide you through it when you come by to pick up the plecos and peacocks.

Start with small fish. Also at this point strongly suggest to buyers that they pick-up at the post office. That way they are not riding around in a hot truck all day.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Remember to use clean, fresh water. Don't use water from the tank. It really isn't that hard to do. I shipped out a bunch of fish for the first time last year and didn't lose any in transit. Even sent some 2 day to Oregon without issues.

QuarterMiler

Members
I've shipped quite a bit so I'd also add a few things that come to mind:

-Extra water changes prior to shipping. Get them "used" to the cleaner water. I use 100% fresh in the bags.
-As mentioned, double bag, but be sure the bags are inverted to squash any corners.
-I get my bags from Ken's or Your Fish Stuff. A bundle of 50 is pretty cheap. I find myself liking the 2 mil better for ease of handling, although for fish that can poke holes with spiny fins(synos., etc), thicker may be needed. I find the thicker the bag, the tougher to close tightly.
-I use one outlet from my air header to pump air into the bags.
-I use the 3/4 styro that comes in a pack of 6 16x48(I think) sheets to line my own boxes.
-I use no cool packs.
-Larger fish need to be bagged individually.
-If shipping USPS, I bag and drop them off later in the day before closing to avoid them sitting in the PO all day until the days packages go out.