• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Looking for a puppy

Spn383

Members
Hi im looking for a puppy. If anyone has any info on a French bulldog or a miniture bull terrier puppy please let me know. Thanks

FishEggs

I'd suggest checking out your local animal shelter and seeing if you like any of them. I have a couple and they turned out to be great dogs.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Second that. Most people think shelters are full of mutts, but there can be a surprising number of pure bred dogs available.

Also check www.petfinder.com, there are tons of animals available for adoption, most in the care of rescues or fosters. You can search by breed type, location, age, etc.

Please consider these options before going to a breeder, too many dogs available from people not looking to profit from their venture.

JLW

CCA Members
Plus, you never know when you're going to find a mutt you really really like. And, as mixed breed dogs are usually free of the health problems of their parent breeds, they're a much better bet.

Becca

Members
You might also want to do some research on brachycephalic dogs and the health problems that are common for them. I guarantee you will find them in shelters, at any age, because so many people who buy them have no idea what they're signing up for.

FishEggs

I much prefer mutts. Their personalities always seem better to me. Arent they called designer dogs now though?

Tangcollector

Staff member
We have gotten our last three dogs from the shelter and they have all been spectacular members of the family. The first one we had for 16 yrs, the second one for 18 yrs, and the one we have now we have had for 12 years. They have been mutts and I wouldn't have traded them for anything.

Becca

Members
I'm not about to force a mutt down anyone's throat if they like a specific breed. Personally, I am a devoted German Shepherd lover. I have one pure bred (with papers) and one mix. Both have typical GSD problems - allergies, arthritis, nerves - though the health problems we've experienced with our PB are definitely more severe. That said, both were rescues, one an owner surrender to a shelter and one a stray to shelter. I've worked with multiple rescues and fostered many, many pure bred dogs who were perfectly fine, but were given up because owners had no idea what they were signing up for.

It's good to know about what health and behavioral quirks might come along with a dog, beyond the traits that attracted you to them in the first place.

For instance - the general "OCD" tendencies and separation anxiety issues common in GSDs are too much for some people, but part of what endears the breed to me. Sometimes people do purchase dogs from breeders because they are looking for something in particular. Any REPUTABLE breeder will ensure you understand what you're getting into before they let you go home with one of their puppies, the same as most rescues and shelters will. Some even require you to sign contracts agreeing to meet specific care and food-quality/type requirements.

French bulldogs rank as one of my favorite breeds, however they are stubborn, difficult to train, extremely sensitive to heat and over-activity, prone to a variety of health issues because of their facial structure and their dwarfed stature (skin infections, breathing problems, heart issues, just to name a few) and many report that house training them is a lost cause. That said, I've been beaten (just barely) by a Frenchie and her handler in a Rally obedience competition (the mistake was mine, not my dog's).

Boston terriers, also adorable, are incredibly feisty and can develop severe behavioral issues if not treated with the kind of care and respect most reserve only for larger breeds (this goes for ANY terrier). I've taught puppy classes where two pint-size terriers made it their life's mission to unleash a reign of terror on a pair of Great Pyrenees pups. Without the training they received early on, those dogs would've become the little "ankle biters" so many of us would love to drop kick.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I much prefer mutts. Their personalities always seem better to me. Arent they called designer dogs now though?

Designer dogs are the cockapoos and schnoodles that are specific crosses between 2 dogs for specific traits. I'm guessing a mutt is anything of unknown origin, or more than 2 species mixed.

We have 2 rescue dogs, a pit bull mutt and a beagle/basset hound mix, both great dogs. The pit bull could easily be boxer and black lab, but no way to know for sure without a DNA test. That being said, he is a great dog considering he was found tied to an abandoned building with no food or water.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Friend of mine recently got a rescue poodle / Havanese mix and he's awesome. Bigger than a toy dog and smaller than a big dog. Totally hypoallergenic and great personality. He looks like a cross between Toto from Wizard of Oz and a sheep (he has a docked tail).

She found him on Petfinder

Matt

there are many breed-specific rescues and they can not only get you an appropriate dog, but answer your questions and help you decide if it's the right dog. Some will also let you "foster with intent" to see if the dog fits into your family. I would encourage you not to get hung up on getting a puppy, though. Puppies are a pain in the neck!!!!:)

JLW

CCA Members
Terrell! You didn't tell me you'd just gotten an Akita. You should have brought him up -- mine is friendly with puppies!

Vinh2o

Members
One of the best places you can go to to get info on the two breeds you named is an American Kennel Club Dog Show. When you go to the show find out what time that breed is showing and what ring number. When you arrive at the ring you will see all of the breeders and rescue organizations for that breed. Breed specific rescue organizations will connect you to dogs of the specific breed that you are looking for that need a home. The breeders sometimes have puppies on site or will invite you out to their home to see their puppies. I use to own American Staffordshire Terrier Show Dogs so I know you find great connections there very quickly. When ever you express interest in a specific breed they can't wait to welcome you into that breed family. Just go to the American Kennel Club Website. There you can find the show schedules for each State. Some big shows come to Howard County Fairground & Baltimore area in early Spring. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I enjoy fish people who are also into dogs! My Sophie and I are nearly inseperable.

sittingsophie_zpsdcfd8af7.jpg.html

layingsophie_zpsba0f596d.jpg.html