• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Advice on Costa Rica

Becca

Members
My dad is trying to surprise my mom with a trip to Costa Rica in mid-February. I have been there once on a trip that spent 2 days in Arenal and 4 in Tamarindo (6 days, 7 nights).

My dad is looking to schedule a trip that is a similar length and wants to visit one or two areas without wasting too many days on travel. I've told him ground transit is a nightmare there (take it from someone whose husband nearly had to be helicoptered to a hospital, only to find out that storms were too bad for air or ground travel :-/), so 2 destinations is probably the max he can do.

Since I've only been there once, and at a different time of year, I'm not really sure what to recommend to him. My mother loves parrots and would probably enjoy seeing them (macaws especially) in their natural habitat. My dad likes sailing, though the trip is really more about my mom. Also, my mother is incredibly clumsy... like unbelievably clumsy... and also not very athletic (she is often likened to Olive Oil from the Popeye cartoons), so it can't involve things that require a great deal of coordination (e.g., rock climbing).

mchambers

Former CCA member
We were there about 15 years ago and it was one of my favorite trips. We spent two nights in San Jose staying with friends, and also went to the west coast and Monteverde (cloud forest). Monteverde probably won't work for you, because the road up to basically consists of large rocks and boulders with occasional patches of sand.

The west coast is great -- birds, snakes, iguanas, crocodiles, monkeys, spiders, etc. -- but it does involve a drive from San Jose. Maybe they could hire a car?

Or just find a tour company.

lkelly

Members
I heard they are opening a Popeye museum there and might be hiring. So you could check that out...

To make this aquarium related, I heard that water changes are recommended for Popeye.

Forester

Members
I have a close family friend who is from Costa Rica and planned a great trip when we went there with them for their wedding. I can put you in touch with her if you would like.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
I have a close family friend who is from Costa Rica and planned a great trip when we went there with them for their wedding. I can put you in touch with her if you would like.

Does she need a wife? I can make myself available!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLW

CCA Members
There are several small islands off the coast of Costa Rica which are truly unique. The largest of these is known as "Cloud Island," and though it is somewhat difficult to get to, I understand that it has some of the most unique wildlife in the world, including some truly large lizards.

Becca

Members
There are several small islands off the coast of Costa Rica which are truly unique. The largest of these is known as "Cloud Island," and though it is somewhat difficult to get to, I understand that it has some of the most unique wildlife in the world, including some truly large lizards.

Hardy, har, har....

Forester

Members
Does she need a wife? I can make myself available!

But in all seriousness would u like her contact info?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I went to Costa Rica for 2 weeks in college, but we did visit several areas in the country. San Jose is neat, but more for the culture than the environment.

Monteverde Cloud Forest was amazing, but like Matt said, its not easily accessible for the coordination challenged.

Cocoa Beach was nice, a beach town on the Pacific side, one of many that populate the coast.

I'd recommend Limon; its an area with several national parks on the Caribbean side, with plenty of ecotourist activities. Tortuguero National Park (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortuguero_National_Park) had some neat wildlife, sea turtles are a common sight there.

I have been to Costa Rica three times. But I only stayed in Mal Pais for the surfing. I love that area but it may not be what you are looking for.

Getting there was not difficult. After landing in San Jose you can take a cab from the airport directly to Mal Pais. Be sure to setup the trip at the booth inside the airport and don't use a black market taxi outside baggage claim.

The cab will take you from the airport to the town of Puntarenas. There you will get out and board a ferry to take you to Paquera. Another cab will then pick you up and take you the rest of the way to Mal Pais or Santa Theresa (or I guess anywhere else you wanted to go in the area). It takes about 5-6 hours to get there once you land. Try to get an early morning flight if possible (one departs from Houston early). I should point out that it's paved roads the whole way. Smooth ride but it is very mountainous and some people that get vertigo or motion sickness may have issues. Little girl that was part of a family riding with us last trip puked about 3/4 of the way to Puntarenas.

For wildlife you will see small parrots, and howler monkeys but it's a pretty developed area so not a lot of wildlife that you will see every day. But the accommodations are pretty nice and inexpensive.

There is a town called Montezuma on the Nicoya peninsula that may have more of what you are looking for. It is on the eastern (bayward) side of the peninsula.

Also the rainy season runs from May to September so you may want to schedule for a trip in late fall or winter. Prices run higher but you will get more nice sunny days.

Andy

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I went there with school and we visited a pinaple plantation and it was amazing, defenitely worth checking out. There was this really nice zoo filled with native animals which was amazing. I cant remember the name though. If you have the chance to take a boat tour, do it, they are also fun.

I have been to Costa Rica many times, when my family and I were living in Nicaragua (we went to CR for R&R!). I highly recommend Monteverde. Yes, the road up is challenging, somewhat, but you should be able to hire a vehicle, or just drive slow. There are some very nice hotels up there, with gentle walking trails to see Quetzal birds, sloths, amazing butterflies, etc. The volcanoes near San Jose are iffy, IMO, because the cloud cover often obscures them.

Then yes, the Nicoya peninsula is just back down the hill and a little to the north. There are some all-inclusive resorts there. We went to Playa Tambor before they built the hotels there and rode horses on the beach, fished (caught a rooster fish and the hotel cooked it for supper!). I love Costa Rica, I highly recommend. -Don