• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Changing from African to S. American ?

Ballen0351

Members
I'm thinking of changing one of my tanks from African to S. American. It has been running for about 2 years. My question is when changing the water quality from African levels to more suitable for S. American will the bacteria die and I need to go through a new cycle or should the tank be ok?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Back to the question on your beneficial bacteria, I still don't think there will be an issue. As for your water parameters, I don't think you would have to do much to keep most Central American cichlids happy. Along the lines of Drew's comments, there are certain species that are particularly sensitive to pH, apistos and discus included, that will not like the hard, alkaline water. The well water I have at my house isn't quite as high a pH as yours, but is still very hard. I've found that most of the black water species do not do well in my water, so I don't keep them.

What kind of New Worlds are you thinking of trying out?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I don't think beneficial bacteria should be a problem, but I agree that you're going to want to avoid fish that like softer, more acidic water, unless you use RO water. As Jon said, many Central American fish like harder water, so that may be a good solution for you.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I doubt that adding peat moss to the filter is going to make your water that soft. And even if it does, every time you do a water change, the hardness will rise again. The changes in hardness levels and pH will stress the fish.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
There are lots of cool fish native to Honduras.

I try not to mess with water parameters unless it is something that can be relatively consistent. Most tank raised fish have adapted.

Ballen0351

Members
Yeah I like convicts I had them a long time ago, Oscars for years, green terros, jack demps. I don't know I guess I'll keep tossing the idea around in my head

dogofwar

CCA Members
Most Central American cichlids actually prefer the hard, alkaline water that you have. Most South American cichlids, not so much.

Matt

Ballen0351

Members
Most Central American cichlids actually prefer the hard, alkaline water that you have. Most South American cichlids, not so much.

Matt
Yeah I wasn't really considering central American at first don't know much about them but I'm digging a Honduran Tank I'm going down again in 3 weeks.