• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hikari Discus Bio-Gold

After much research and forum searching, I have concluded that Hikari Discus Bio-Gold has to be one of the best fish foods. I realized that many companies don not include the word "meal" in their ingredients list which is misleading because "Whole fish" is listed as wet weight versus "Fish meal" which is listed as dry weight. Therefore, when listing ingredients in order of weight from heaviest to least, listing "Whole fish" or any Whole protein is misleading because that is the wet weight. I have tried to look for information on NLS as their website lists the ingredients as "Meal" but on the bottles themselves as not meal.

The first five ingredients in Hikari Discus Bio-Gold are Silkworm Pupa Meal, Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Cuttlefish Meal, and Dried Seaweed Meal, all listed before starch leading me to the belief that this food is mostly composed of high quality proteins and vegetable meal. I also like how they include Spirulina (8th on list) and Aspergillus Niger which acts to supply enzymes that aid in digestion.

When feeding my Mbunas, Haps, and Peacocks solely this food, I notice that there is a reduction in fish waste. I can't really notice a difference in the colors versus NLS and YFS Cichlid Supreme, but one thing for sure is that the fish gobble every pellet up.

I wish this food wasn't so expensive as it is such a high quality food. I know some will say the high protein content (50%) will cause bloat but so far after 7 monthes of feeding this there hasn't been any cases of bloat in my tank (I feed twice a day morning and night).

I recently contacted Jay Wilson via FB and will be trying the Northfin line sometime soon. I asked him if he could give me the percentage breakdown of the meals in the ingredients list and will update the group with what I find out. Heard great things and am looking forward to trying out his line.

Tangcollector

Staff member
Where as I believe that to be a good food. I would be hesitant to feed to to the Mbuna. I realize you have had no issues to date but when something happens to increase stress in the tank, such a aggression or power outage among other things then at least the Mbuna will get sick.

Thats a very good point Greg. What protein percentage would you consider a safe amount? I think Northfin Cichlid formula is 42% protein

Jt731

Members
I bought some paradigm from Tannin and it's been awesome, 42% protein, great ingredients and color enhancers.

Tangcollector

Staff member
Thats a very good point Greg. What protein percentage would you consider a safe amount? I think Northfin Cichlid formula is 42% protein

The only stuff I feed my tropheus that is over 40% is the Ken's Tropheus lover's food at 45% and cobalt mysis spirulina at 44%. For Mbuna, which I believe are not as sensitive as Tropheus, I think you are good with any of those or the Cobalt Spirulina. I also really like the repashy super green and soilent green when I am not too lazy to make it. All the cobalt stuff has probiotics in it and I think it is awesome.It comes in pellet or flake but I use flake. Josh has the stuff on sale right now so it might be a good time to try it and you can get the repashy from Racheal. They are both awesome sponsors and members of the club.