• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

So Who are the Photo Bugs in the Club?

turfboss

Members
Want to get back into photography - was very active when Iwas overseas years ago - had a Linhoff Super Technica IV - 4x5" format with swings - tilts and the whole shebang for portrait work as well as press photography (tried to make all the formula one races in Europe or England when I was stationed overseas) - press passes for the pit areas make watching those races even more exciting than you can imagine - unless of course you have been there as well) - in any case am looking at - perhaps getting a Nikon D80 or D90 to start - mostly for fish photography right now - and am wondering who the experts are to ask questions of with respect to camera bodies and lenses.

Is there a group of folks that really are into this that would be willing to chat with me about what the best tools are to get started in this "fish photography" in the fish room and perhaps even doing some underwater photography in the future??

George

chriscoli

Administrator
I upgraded from my old point-and-shoot to a Canon Rebel T3i about a year ago. I'm still learning a lot about my camera, and just recently started venturing into full manual mode.

I'd love to hear more about what other folks are using, too!

turfboss

Members
Hey - maybe we can get a thread going here that helps more folks think about the photography. I have looked at the Canon Rebel line - seems what I read in general is that both the Canon and the Nikon are great cameras - some folks seem to like the Nikon lenses a bit better - esp the 60 MM prime lens for shooting fish portraits - speed and clarity seem to be the big selling points.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm not.

Matt

PS Bonus geek points for anyone who can ID the fish in the picture (two species, I believe)

IMG_0847.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
So, this is definitely NOT fish-related, but we recently got to go on vacation to Alaska and of course, I had to get a new lens. I bought a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 wide angle lens.

I used it for these pictures taken from a flight we got to take over the glaciers around Mt. McKinley...

glacier1.jpg

glacier2.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Sorry to derail, George ;)

Yes on the Heros, Jon - They're the H. appendiculatus from Peru (when they were much smaller than they are today. Nice red color still, though.

The other is Acaronia nassa, but that's about impossible given the angle and, uh, photographic excellence.

Matt

One is definitely a heros species, maybe appendiculata. Other looks like archocentrus multispinosis, but I'm not sure.

Spine

Members
My camera is a Nikon D-80. The primary reason I ended up with a Nikon was at that time they where selling what everyone considered the best speedlight(flash) on the market. If you are shooting fish a good flash is necessary.

Also at that time there where a lot of club members with Nikon's so I knew I could get lots of advice from people familiar with the camera

Finally I went and tested Nikon and Canon camera's in my price range and the Nikon felt the most comfortable so I bought it.

For shooting Fish you need a good flash and a Macro lens. I use a 60mm /f2.8and 105mm/f2.8 along with a SB-800 and SB-600 speedlight(flash)

turfboss

Members
D-80 and related tools

My camera is a Nikon D-80. The primary reason I ended up with a Nikon was at that time they where selling what everyone considered the best speedlight(flash) on the market. If you are shooting fish a good flash is necessary.

Also at that time there where a lot of club members with Nikon's so I knew I could get lots of advice from people familiar with the camera

Finally I went and tested Nikon and Canon camera's in my price range and the Nikon felt the most comfortable so I bought it.

For shooting Fish you need a good flash and a Macro lens. I use a 60mm /f2.8and 105mm/f2.8 along with a SB-800 and SB-600 speedlight(flash)

This is exactly what I came up with in doing research - so thanks for verifying that I am on the right track - not sure I can swing both lenses to start with but looks like the right package - thanks

turfboss

Members
For above water shooting I am using a Nikon D 90. For below water a Sealife.
-Shane

Thanks for the input --

OK - so the other part of my question was do you "photo bugs" believe that the price differential for the D-90 is justified for someone buying in for the first time - I have not done a feature by feature comparison but is seems like the major single difference is the video feature - which would really be great for shooting tank activity and especially time lapse videos of spawning activity.