• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

6ft tank shelving?

chriscoli

Administrator
I use the heavy duty Edsal shelving from the big box stores for a 6 ft tank. This looks similar. looks like it's got a decent weight rating. Do they have any info on what it's rated per shelf?

Jeff721

Members
I use the heavy duty Edsal shelving from the big box stores for a 6 ft tank. This looks similar. looks like it's got a decent weight rating. Do they have any info on what it's rated per shelf?

I recently bought one of the 77" Heavy Duty Edsal shelving units to use for a dual 125 setup. The cross beams were too short to accommodate the tanks. Wish I had known that before spending $180 on it and lugging the 100lbs unit home only to take it back later.

Never saw the Husky one before maybe it's different.

Hawkman2000

Members
8000 lbs. Total
4 shelves
2000 per shelf?

125 gallons comes to about 1025 lbs.

Laminate 1/2 inch funature grade ply to 1 inch for shelf surface. Add 1/2 or 3/4 inch poly foam board for flexing.

Just might work.

Last edited:

chriscoli

Administrator
Shelf weight isn't necessarily total weight divided by number of shelves.....they are also rated but the info is sometimes hard to find.

Yep, I have plywood and a layer of foam on mine too.

As Jeff mentioned, check the fit and don't forget to include the frame in your calculation. Mine overhangs the end by a teeny bit (maybe a half an inch on each end) so I extended the plywood and foam to accommodate. Not all style racks will let you do that though and it's not ideal.

Hawkman2000

Members
Get the pink foam board with the foil/plastic front/back.

Lay it with the foil up. This will help keep heat in the tank.