• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sponge Filter Guide Lines?

Vinh2o

Members
I have recently set up a number of 40 breeder tanks and have decided to go primarily with Sponge Filters. The tanks will be used mainly for Fry grow out, a breeder group here and there, and quarantine tanks.

What is the guide line for sponge filter size. For my canisters and HOB I go for 10 to 12 X GPH to the tank size. How do you do that with Sponge Filters. I will also have a box filter with floss in each tank as well. Looking forward to your advice and experience. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
I would go with at least 2 sponge filters with each at least rated to the tank-size. Also make sure your air-flow is sufficient.

Vinh2o

Members
Verbal / Jessie, thanks for your response. So even if I plan to have a box filter in the tank I still need two sponge filters. In other words 3 filters?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
Hey Vincent. No, a box filter would take the place of a sponge filter. Both box filters and sponge filters work in similar ways, though sponges have advantages over boxes -- there's no regular media to replace. However, boxes have the advantage of allowing you to put in "other" media, such as carbon. I started off with all boxes, but quickly changed to sponges, as I found them "easier," and found that most of my box filters just had gravel weighing them down anyhow. :)

A lot of this is going to depend upon your fish load, too. I would get one of the larger sponge filters that are rated for 75-gallons or so (example: http://www.amazon.com/XY-380-Aquari...IN78/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439905133&sr=8-2 -- I don't particularly like that brand, as they take a bit more pressure than others, just the first one that showed up). If you're heavily stocked, go with two from the get-go, but if you're lightly stocked, one may be sufficient. Monitor your nutrient levels after the tank cycles -- if you're picking up trace amounts of ammonia or nitrite, add a second one.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I generally run a sponge and a box in each tank. I prefer to use run less air through the sponges to reduce the amount of solid waste that they catch... and run a bunch of air through the boxes to maximize their value as mechanical filters.

A single sponge and box can easily support a 40B. Running additional sponges (or just having them in the tank) definitely can't hurt.

I'm a big fan of regularly cleaning filters (squeezing out sponges regularly and changing fluff in boxes). I also keep gravel in the bottom of boxes to both weigh then down and add some bio capacity....

I'm nearly 100% air-driven in my fishroom. Much better than HOBs or canisters, especially for a bunch of tanks.

Matt