• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pre-washed Pool filter sand

Howie

Members
One 2'x 4' sheet should be enough for 5' 120? Home Depot carry it?

Cut sheet with wire cutters?

Leffler817

CCA Members
One 2'x 4' sheet should be enough for 5' 120? Home Depot carry it?

Cut sheet with wire cutters?

Yes, one sheet should suffice. Yes, you can cut both egg crate and clear light diffuser with wire cutters or any utility scissors. I know HD used to carry both but I don't know if they still do.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Howie

Members
So I went to Leslies and got 2 bags of PFS. Noticed that the color is more tan than white.

Wanted to know if anybody has used the arctic White II PFS and therir experience with it. Is it finer than the stuff I got? Is the white going to show more algae and poop? Besides Dannys in Crofton, anywhere else to get it closer to DC?

I'm holding off on putting my Leslies PFS until I heat the conventional wisdom from the masses! Thanks!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Howie,

I think it is hard to be certain what color a particular brand of pool filter sand is. You have to remember that pool filter sand is sold to go in pool filters, where it is not visible. Accordingly, most users don't care about the color.

I have found some pool filter sand to be white, others to be tan, and still others to be a mix. Your best bet is to take a peek in the bag or look around on the floor near the pool filter sand bags, to get an idea of what you will be buying.

There used to be a pool supply store in the same shopping center as House of Tropicals, in Glen Burnie. The sand I got there was fairly white. Of course, that could change without any notice.

I don't have a problem with white pool filter sand showing fish waste or algae, but I'm sure it varies from setup to setup.

Matt

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Matt, the store near HoT closed a while back. The sand I got from there is a mix.

Howie, the white sand will show more algae and dirt. Folks I know who use it for aquascaping tend to replace it every few months. Not sure if you want to get into that.

Blaise

Tangcollector

Staff member
Howie,
The name of the stuff I got at Danny's was Mystic White II and it is really white. You can get it online but you are going to pay for shipping. I only have a pair and fry in that tank but I don't really have an issue with poop although I am sure it depends on what you feed them. As far as algae I have had none in that tank so far. I guess it boils down to what you like.

Howie

Members
I'm going to make a field trip to Dannys and pick up the Mystic white PFS. I think it will look better to provide contrast with Africans and my blue Plastidipped background as well as the Lace Rock.

Thanks for all your helpful insights.