• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Discus Eating Behaviors

Termato

Board of Directors
So my discus are ALWAYS peaceful little guys (or big in this case). I have always been curious about their behavior while and after eating. They get really aggressive towards one another and it climaxes at one point. It's a really intriguing thing to watch. Anyways, I capture the whole event on video. It's almost 18 minutes long though but I provide a nice music/video to make it worth while ;)

The two bigger discus that have the super colorful patterns are tank bred while all the rest are wild discus. I'm hoping they all start pairing up soon, although I wont mix the strains. If a wild one pairs with a tank bred one (which you can easily tell) then I'll end up removing the tank bred ones from the tank.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdtl4MB-v7w

dhavalsp

Members
Victor, nice video, how many times do you feed these fish? also, may be making 4-5 separate lumps of food might help in 'evenly' distributing the food.

I think you have 3 tank bred and 4 wild, correct me if I am wrong.

What is the tank bred variety, looks unique.

I feed mine very heavily as they are still young, so I generally see them turn a little dark and get lethargic post feeding....do you see same thing with your fish?

Termato

Board of Directors
Victor, nice video, how many times do you feed these fish? also, may be making 4-5 separate lumps of food might help in 'evenly' distributing the food.

I think you have 3 tank bred and 4 wild, correct me if I am wrong.

What is the tank bred variety, looks unique.

I feed mine very heavily as they are still young, so I generally see them turn a little dark and get lethargic post feeding....do you see same thing with your fish?

Thanks!

I have 2 tank bred and 3 wild ones. I was thinking about holding a cube for them to come and eat. The left side has a solid piece of glass I can't open so I can only put food in 2/3rds of the tank. I didn't let those chunks melt all the way in the video but I normally do 6-8 clumps. It usually still works the same but I try and do that

Termato

Board of Directors
I got some suggestions to potentially set up the 125 to put these guys in. Give them more space. Especially since I have another one coming from Josh. Then I could run it bare bottom and grow the wild ones out easier.

That'd give me the opportunity to do something completely new with this planted 75G. Grow out colony?! :) lots to think about.