• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Electric Blue Acaras

Termato

Board of Directors
So I was able to get three more juvenile blue acaras from Walter yesterday, which was awesome. He has some really nice fish and tanks.

I put the three acaras in with my healthy big male acaras and what do you know...within almost 2 minutes, the one that looked like a female paired up with him. I waited to see if it'd be ok to leave all of them in a 40G with the cories but I then chose to remove the two and left the pair in there.

Little did I know, I had another female in the midst of my tanks. When I woke up this morning, I found my 30G tank that had the two acaras that had just made it through the ich treatment breeding! I mean, these guys don't stop. I thought they were two males but I am glad I was wrong. I took a little video update of it. So far these fish have not stopped trying to breed. I can tell I'll have to be careful how much I breed or where I get rid of the fish otherwise, like many have stated, you can saturate your local market quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyW6W24dbBI

Has anyone seen those huge 7 inch ones?

Last edited:

zendog

Sounds like your Acara factory is in full swing!

Last time I was at PetSmart to get food for my dog I saw the EBA priced at $24.99. I guess since they are so new to the hobby they've been lower on supply but if your experience and mine holds true they may be selling them as feeders instead of goldfish by next year.

Of course maybe keeping the fry alive is the real challenge.

Termato

Board of Directors
In this one, they are very close to the same size. Both about 2..5-3".

I have a male that's about 3.5" and thicker in another tank. This guy:
2016-04-17.jpg

Aqua410

Members
How big do they really get? I constantly hear that acaras can get 8" but I've never seen one approaching that size.

How big do they really get? I constantly hear that acaras can get 8" but I've never seen one approaching that size.
they do get that big, I had some 4-5" guys in my 75g. I gave them to a friend, a few months later i went to his house. They were in his 125g and i want to say about 7" and stunning!!!

Termato

Board of Directors
Check out this one! It's monstrous and only around 7"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upbnMhL9UoI

I had a group six that were 4-6in, probably 7 by now, but I sold them.

Thats awesome that you go yours to breed! I tried for awhile but mine never really paired up. Good luck!

How much did you sell it for at that size?

I had to pull the male out today. He was harassing the female and still trying to fertilize the eggs. I put him in another tank and she's doing much better.

i traded them for some rainbows. but also i had to many diff cichlids in one tank so i needed to lessen the aggression. so trading for dithers was more important than anything at that point

Forester

Members
Check out this one! It's monstrous and only around 7"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upbnMhL9UoI

How much did you sell it for at that size?

I had to pull the male out today. He was harassing the female and still trying to fertilize the eggs. I put him in another tank and she's doing much better.

I sold em for $10 a piece to an LFS . I tried to sell em on Aqua bid but couldn't.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aqua410

Members
Good luck with the spawn. Hopefully I can get some of these from you for a 180 I'm planning to get together in a few months. I wanna do a "peaceful" SA community tank.

Termato

Board of Directors
Good luck with the spawn. Hopefully I can get some of these from you for a 180 I'm planning to get together in a few months. I wanna do a "peaceful" SA community tank.

Definitely.

That's my kind of community. Hopefully my GBRs, Discus, and Angelfish start breeding too ;)

All about that peaceful SA community hahah.

Termato

Board of Directors
I have two batches of eggs from two different pairs but no fry yet. I'll want to grow them out a little before letting go of them. At least a month just so they are eating right and more chance of surviving any trips.

zendog

Here is my pair with their free swimming fry. I'm feeding golden pearls, 50-100 size. I can't really tell since they're always swarming around, but I think I have about 100 fry still. The pair have done a great job of keeping the 5 Corys in the tank away from the fry, although I'm probably wearing them out by leaving the light on overnight to keep the Corys from being able to move in. The pair and 5 Corys are in a 15 gallon which I was using to quarantine them after getting them at the PVAS auction. Apparently they liked the cramped quarters and crowded tank since they originally spawned with 3 other EBAs in with them as well.
EBAPair.jpg

Sorry, not a great photo. Anyone know if these are allowed for BAP? I would guess not since I believe they're some type of hybrid or line-bred.

Forester

Members
Here is my pair with their free swimming fry. I'm feeding golden pearls, 50-100 size. I can't really tell since they're always swarming around, but I think I have about 100 fry still. The pair have done a great job of keeping the 5 Corys in the tank away from the fry, although I'm probably wearing them out by leaving the light on overnight to keep the Corys from being able to move in. The pair and 5 Corys are in a 15 gallon which I was using to quarantine them after getting them at the PVAS auction. Apparently they liked the cramped quarters and crowded tank since they originally spawned with 3 other EBAs in with them as well.
EBAPair.jpg

Sorry, not a great photo. Anyone know if these are allowed for BAP? I would guess not since I believe they're some type of hybrid or line-bred.

I think they are. I am submitting longfin super red bristlenose and those are very line bred.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Termato

Board of Directors
They look really nice! That's crazy that the cories haven't eaten them yet. Mine just got to wiggler phase. The female has taken them into a little nook. I have another batch that is on the same stage but I remove them from the mothers tank. The wigglers are spread out throughout the tank. i don't think I did that one properly. Here's to hoping both batches go well.

zendog

I hope both spawns go well for you. My pair have been very good parents and worked together to dig a pit in-between the rhizomes of the java fern right before the eggs hatched and then moved them over to it when they hatched.

At one point, the male made another pit 4 inches or so away and started to move the spawn over about when a few had gone from wigglers to free swimming, but the female was clearly in charge and moved them back. For a while she was moving the back at the same time the male was bringing them to the new pit - as if they were stealing them from each other's pit. I was amazed that with being picked up and moved around so much it didn't seem like I lost many.

Termato

Board of Directors
I hope both spawns go well for you. My pair have been very good parents and worked together to dig a pit in-between the rhizomes of the java fern right before the eggs hatched and then moved them over to it when they hatched.

At one point, the male made another pit 4 inches or so away and started to move the spawn over about when a few had gone from wigglers to free swimming, but the female was clearly in charge and moved them back. For a while she was moving the back at the same time the male was bringing them to the new pit - as if they were stealing them from each other's pit. I was amazed that with being picked up and moved around so much it didn't seem like I lost many.

You're having better luck than me! hahah Better parenting than mine. Only the females seems to be looking over the eggs. The male goes hide and the female has started to chase him away. I'm curious if I'll have to re introduce the pair back to the community to get them to breed again. Very interesting.