• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ID this Cichlid

Termato

Board of Directors
It appears to be Mesonauta festivus.

Manuel

Ahh thank you, that does look to be it.

Have you ever kept these? I'm interested to know more if anyone has kept them. Doing some research but always good to hear from personal experience.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hey now. I like silver fish as well!

Festivums (and related Mesonatus sp.) are great fish and I've kept and bred a several of them over the years. They get good sized (depending on species) - 5-6" to some over 8-9". They'll breed much smaller and are generally good parents, even in a community setting.

The babies are tiny and take forever to grow out to decent size.

Matt

They're mostly brown -- I would have thought that a Matt Quinn fish!

Termato

Board of Directors
Thanks for all the great information, everyone! I may try my hand at them in the near future. I want to keep some tank space open for anything that catches my eye at the BFD! Can't wait.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I defenitely recommend festivums. I have 2 in my 300 and love them. They are like hardier, slightly more agressive angels

FishEggs

I have one in my 55g with some rainbow cichlids and tetras. havent had any problems with it being aggressive. of course if there was a pair of them in there that could be a different story.