• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mirror therapy

chriscoli

Administrator
After being shown what a difference this makes by our speaker this weekend, I put my little mirror in the tank with my Pelvicachromis humilis Friya. It has really gotten her attention and she's showing off to the mirror and the male in the tank.

Anyone else try this yet?

image.jpg

mchambers

Former CCA member
My two types of Pelvicachromis are not at all reluctant to spawn, so I won't be adding a mirror now, but perhaps with another fish in the future!

chriscoli

Administrator
Matt, I won't be putting a mirror in with my Moliwe at all!

So I came back by the tank and now everyone is in front of the mirror....that's the male Friya and a Sarotherodon.

image.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
No, I don't (gave my young-uns away recently to a kid getting into the hobby) but quite a few folks in the club raise them.

YSS

Members
That's great. Didn't hear the talk, so don't know what the benefits of having a mirror in the tank is, but sure looks entertaining.

chriscoli

Administrator
Ted's observed that we often keep pelvicachromis in pairs, but that the presence of additional females is important to encourage spawning. So, especially for some of the more aggressive (or expensive) Pelvicachromis, putting a mirror in the tank for a short time can trick the female into thinking that there's competition around. She'll put on her aggressive/spawning colors within minutes to show off to the other female, and this then gets the male interested as well. After a bit, the male and female start interacting and ignoring the mirror. That's when you take the mirror out and hope they spawn. In some cases, he's had spawning happen within minutes of putting the mirror in the tank.

JLW

CCA Members
But, I can't stop looking at this mirror. . . . .

OH, wait, that's a painting of Dorian Grey.