• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hey Gardeners!

chriscoli

Administrator
How's spring shaping up in your garden? (I know there are a bunch of us on here)

Even though it's a little too early to really get things cleaned up in the yard, I couldn't resist getting out there for a little while today to get a few things done. Snowdrops are all up, hyacinths and daffodils are part way up, bleeding hearts, northern sea oats, and Virginia bluebells started peeking out of the ground this week. Not too many trees with buds yet.

image.jpg

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
my tulips, daffodils, hycinths and crocuses are all up. Crocuses are wide open. Magnolia already starting to make a mess.

chriscoli

Administrator
Awesome on the bulbs! I tried crocuses for several years, but the deer and rabbits always get to them first. In fact, they usually nip the tips off my hyacinths, too.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Deer got 'em last year. Have to screen in all my hostas. So far, so good.

Becca

Members
We're just finding out what's in the yard at our new place - so far I see crocuses open, tips of daffodils and tulips, and also some sort of lily.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I have a young raspberry plant that seem to have survived the winter I had passion fruit vines but they didn't make it even though I protected them.
( purple ones can handle the cold .bull I say)
Too early to tell if my hops survived
Other than that I don't have anything growing in the backyard bc we tore it up to try to fight the bamboo that the neighbors planted a few years ago.(anyone have a panda?)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I was thinking of cutting them and making pleco caves etc and prob selling them (no pesticides etc on our side)
Becca this stuff is evil I hate it it will make you back yard look like a scene from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Of the hide out of the flying dagger lol

chriscoli

Administrator
I have a young raspberry plant that seem to have survived the winter I had passion fruit vines but they didn't make it even though I protected them.
( purple ones can handle the cold .bull I say)
Too early to tell if my hops survived
Other than that I don't have anything growing in the backyard bc we tore it up to try to fight the bamboo that the neighbors planted a few years ago.(anyone have a panda?)

I hear ya. My purple passiflora has returned every year, but it looks especially bad right now.....it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't make it. On the plus side, this'll give me a chance to really cut it back if it did make it. They're borderline in our area anyhow. Hops should have no trouble, those are really tough once established. If I had enough sun, I'd grow them!

chriscoli

Administrator
We're just finding out what's in the yard at our new place - so far I see crocuses open, tips of daffodils and tulips, and also some sort of lily.

Aaaah the fun part of gardening in a new house! When I met my husband (not a gardener) he was putting up with daffodils that the previous owners had planted throughout the lawn. I'm very anti-bulbs in the lawn. They've all been relocated now. :)

JasonC

Members
Aaaah the fun part of gardening in a new house! When I met my husband (not a gardener) he was putting up with daffodils that the previous owners had planted throughout the lawn. I'm very anti-bulbs in the lawn. They've all been relocated now. :)

ugh.. when we bought our house, the side yard was a 30'x 4' bed of lilly of the valley... 6 years later and we are still trying to get rid of them all...

chriscoli

Administrator
ugh.. when we bought our house, the side yard was a 30'x 4' bed of lilly of the valley... 6 years later and we are still trying to get rid of them all...

Really???? I'd love to get it established in my yard! But I know what you mean, it can be amazingly persistent when it's happy.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I hear ya. My purple passiflora has returned every year, but it looks especially bad right now.....it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't make it. On the plus side, this'll give me a chance to really cut it back if it did make it. They're borderline in our area anyhow. Hops should have no trouble, those are really tough once established. If I had enough sun, I'd grow them!

Man I saved some seeds but they take forever to germinate (should have started that weeks ago.) How did you get your passiflora, where are they located mine are facing east I believe. There's a lot of tropical fruit trees I would love to own but zone 7b or whatever I'm in kills anything tropical ohh I want a green house lol

But will start planting all kinds of stuff out back so it keeps the bamboo in check.

Tomatoes, melons, potatoes, lol maybe corn lol anything goes in the yard.

chriscoli

Administrator
I don't remember where I got it (maybe at Behnke's in the herb section) but it's been sending out runners underground like crazy the past few winters. If any make it this time, I can give you some if yours really does end up dead. Mine is still dormant. I've got it on the West side of the house, but the houses are so close, it only gets mid day sun.

I often go through the Logees catalog and wish for a greenhouse. Our house backs up to a patch of woods.....I've basically got almost all dry shade.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Same.
I wish I had the space or the money for an automated green house. I have some blue berry seeds that have been in the freezer ready to plant. Ill trade you some raspberries.
I have a weird long wish list of cars ultralight, a boat, fish, all sorts of space to rescue animals, and flowers. I did the flower arrangement for our wedding wife thought I was funny but saved is tons. I have lots of pictures of flowers that I've taken while walking or on vacation.

any idea what this is?

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1395543469.535787.jpg

Last edited:

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I dont have a garden but my mom puts plants all over the house. Especially ficus trees. Whenever I'm moving things and I bump into or move one of her ficus or any plant of hers she sais they like specific spots around the house. I know nothing about plants so that seems a little silly to me.

chriscoli

Administrator
I dont have a garden but my mom puts plants all over the house. Especially ficus trees. Whenever I'm moving things and I bump into or move one of her ficus or any plant of hers she sais they like specific spots around the house. I know nothing about plants so that seems a little silly to me.

Yeah, ficus get very attached to the conditions in a specific spot (amount of light, humidity, lack of drafts)....they don't like to be moved and may drop their leaves if you relocate them. It takes forever to get them to leaf back out sometimes. It's enough of a problem that they're breeding leaf-drop resistant varieties (expensive).