• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

National Local Fish Store Meet Up Day: Saturday, July 13, 2013

Becca

Members
Good point! We used to quarantine some fish on the floor at AC, some in the back room (again, this was 10 years ago and the place is closed now), but it never, ever, EVER looked clean there, no matter how hard we scrubbed!

Can't wait to visit the Bat(fish) cave again next month!!!

gspark

Members
I'm actually a fan of Congressional. They definitely support the shop, and the owner (Jay) is good people, as are most of the staff (except Greg, and tell him I said that!). It's a great store, where many of the staff have worked for -years-. You know you have to be doing something right when some of these people, many of whom are definitely top notch fish geeks, are there for a decade. You try working retail for that long. :)

The prices are higher than what you'll get at other stores -- though I don't think they're that bad. Most fish are reasonably priced, though there are some that are really high. But, you have to pay to keep your good employees, to keep the store stocked, and to pay that rent. . . and that means higher margins.

They have a lot of tanks, and I do sometimes see sick fish in there -- it happens everywhere. They're fairly scrupulous about not selling them when they are sick, which is far more telling than having a few sick fish. Everyone gets them sometimes. Heck, I once had a case of ich, that one time. ;)

Yea, that guy Greg is bad news. I try to avoid him at any cost. He's so unpersonable.

Kind of reminds me of that time I visited this company called Batfish Aquatics. There was this guy named Josh and I told him about my 75 gallon apisto tank. He sold me a leporinis and told me that it was a peaceful scavenger.

- Greg Schneider
Congressional Aquarium

dogofwar

CCA Members
Awesome to see you on here, Greg!

Matt

Yea, that guy Greg is bad news. I try to avoid him at any cost. He's so unpersonable.

Kind of reminds me of that time I visited this company called Batfish Aquatics. There was this guy named Josh and I told him about my 75 gallon apisto tank. He sold me a leporinis and told me that it was a peaceful scavenger.

- Greg Schneider
Congressional Aquarium