• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Showing fish at the ACA

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Don't forget to show fish in July.
Its time to start thinking about it and preping those fish.
Have that one fish that is great looking but just needs a little more size?
Well now is the time to start growing it up. Don't wait until the week before.

LOL

There are plenty of tips on showing fish on here somewhere.
You can search or
we can start a new discussion on it. Its fun and easy. You just need to think ahead.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
All of that will be posted on the upcoming site but
Yes, the tanks will have sponge filters and mostly be 5.5 and 10 gallon tanks.
Remember that the smaller the tank, the bigger the fish looks.
As seen at Aquafest and the Catfish convention I put my Peacocks in 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks.
At those events air stones were used but an ACA convention is longer and the fish are in there longer. So the filters are used.
Again all of that will be on the new web site when it is set up.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I'm seriously considering entering a fish, it'll be my first time so I'll study up now so I'm ready for the show. Thanks for the link Pat ;)

longstocking

Members
That is correct... all fish will be cichlids in the ACA fish show.

As many of you know, I might even show a fish even though I never do! Not 100%.... but thinking about.

mscichlid

Founder
Whoa Sarah! Go girl.

Yes, our membership must make a good showing in the show. We have to represent. Walk the walk, talk the talk. Kick arse and take names. Boo-Yah, baby! BAM!

We have people in this club who have fantabulous fish. If you don't want to show your favorite, raise a cichlid (s) specifically for the show. Start now.

dogofwar

CCA Members
There are usually 10s and 20Hs for bigger fish.

As I'm likely not going to be showing any fish (thanks chimney fire!), some tips:

- Most fish will need to be separated (isolated) in order to be in prime show shape. Judges really look for the condition of the fish to be perfect: no split fins, missing scales, healed scars, etc. They also like really long find extensions. I usually try to isolate about 2 months out.

- Give your show fish extra special care. I do weekly water changes on all of my tanks. Thrown in an extra water change or 3 per month, even small ones, for your show fish. I also start feeding more and better food, especially on weekends (when I'm around). I'm a big fan of red wigglers... Live food makes a difference.

- Don't feed the show fish for 3 days prior to the show.

- Be careful catching your fish. I remove most of the decorations in the isolation tanks for the show fish. It gets them used to no cover and makes catching them easier. I like big white nets. I put the fish in big bags with dechlorinated tap for transport to the show.

- I add ammonia remover and polyfilter to the show tanks...as well as do water changes at least daily on the show tanks (usually more). Big fish + small tank = dirty water and listless fish.

Good luck!

Matt