• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

First fish to bite you?

spazmattik

Members
Well it finally happened today! I am doing alot of rearranging in my tanks and that of course involves getting your hands a little wet. I went to move a piece driftwood today and felt teeth grabbing at my hand. Of course I keep alot of fairly aggressive fish and knew it was coming sooner than later. My mosy aggressive fish currently is my male chancho. Hes really the only glass banger I have at the momment. I thought for sure it would be him but no... it wasnt him, it wasnt my red devil, any of my midas, not my istlanum, nor the grammode... it was my oldest and most loyal fish.. the oscar. Lol. He has always been very particular of where driftwood and rocks are on his side of the tank and he made it very clear i was on his property. :p it wasnt hard, just a warning/rake kind of bite.

It made me wonder about everyone elses first experience. I'm not talking about nibbling thinking your fingers are food but an aggressive / warning bite.

Vinh2o

Members
I have about 35 Mbuna in one of my tanks. I purchased all of them as Juveniles. I have always feed them seaweed a few days a week. When I feed it, I mount it to the side of the glass which requires me to place my hand in the tank. They are all close to 2 inches now. When I put my hand in to feed the seaweed they start trying to eat the seaweed right between my fingers, which results in me getting nibbled on. They do not even wait for it to get mounted to glass. They swarm around it so bad sometimes I have to use a big net to shield my hands while I am mounting the seaweed to the glass. It is going to be interesting once they start hitting 4 and 5 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tangcollector

Staff member
Talapia Butterkoferi
One of the nastiest fish I ever saw. Would try to get through the glass to bite you. Bit me several times.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Had the male of a large pair of salvini come out of the tank at me protecting his spawn (circa 1986). I forgot to warn my dad and he tried to feed them (and got attacked as well).

Salvini are gorgeous fish, hide all of the time when they're not breeding...but when there are eggs/fry - watch out!

Matt

1badmarine

When I was a kid, my dad had a Red Devil, named Big Red. I was messing around a poking my finger in the tank. 1000 times doing this and I got caught slipping this time. That SOB bit my finger and hung on. Flicked him out the tank and onto the floor. My father was so busy laughing at me, he almost forgot about the fish. Big Red was an A-HOLE!!! He didn't like people near his tank. He would glass bang, if you walked by...

Tangcollector

Staff member
When I was a kid, my dad had a Red Devil, named Big Red. I was messing around a poking my finger in the tank. 1000 times doing this and I got caught slipping this time. That SOB bit my finger and hung on. Flicked him out the tank and onto the floor. My father was so busy laughing at me, he almost forgot about the fish. Big Red was an A-HOLE!!! He didn't like people near his tank. He would glass bang, if you walked by...

Great story!!!

chriscoli

Administrator
I've been nipped several times, but the first to draw blood was of all things......a Shellie. I think it was a Hecqui. Bit my pinkie and left little bleeding fang marks.

Gyarados

Members
Snowflake moray. He made his home under the same rock for about 18 months and then one night he packed his bags and moved to the other side of the tank without me knowing. I was fragging mushroom coral at the time and my whole makeshift fragging station ended up half way across the room.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
First nibbles guppies and other community fish that ate the bubbles that form on your hand when moving stuff around.

First bite, 4" jewels protecting eggs I didn't know they had donated male to the second Aquamania auction

First real scare was red tail catfish no bigger than 5"
Thought my finger was a part of some calamari trimmings. (Used to save the bits we would usually toss when cleaning them at wrk) I used to hand feed him/her all the time. Still did after that.
Felt like someone tried to run a tiny metal toothbrush missing tons of bristles across the top and bottom of my index finger.

I don't own any glass bangers soooo nothing crazy or interesting here

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
First to draw blood was a 10" oscar. I had him solo in a 45 gallon, maybe 20 years ago. I was doing a water change and was cleaning the gravel when he bit me on the back of my hand. His teeth scraped me enough to draw blood.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Black Piranha caught me right on the wrist lucky for me he hit all bone but left a nice little mark for me to carry around as a reminder....

blkmjk

Members
My first bite was a convict!

But the nastiest was my Rio mag umbee. He didn't technically even get me. He went after me through the divider scared the $@*! out of me so bad I scraped my wrist on the way out of his tank and cut it pretty badly. Hahahahaha

Drew

While working at TFP years ago I had an undulated trigger take a chunk out of the back of my hand while cleaning his tank. Still have the scar.

first: red belly piranha, about 4". felt like a papercut.

worst: red belly pacu, about 16" (at the time). i'd post photos, but they might be considered too graphic.

most recent: albino oscar, about 14". moreso startled me than anything because i felt him coming and couldn't see, and he's in the same tank as the aforementioned pacu who is about 20" now.

next: one of these days my school of exodon tetras is going to get me, i can just sense it....

@Unknown Saint I cant even imagine the pressure behind the pacu bite. The power that those jaws can produce to crush things is incredible.

OUCH!!!!!

Becca

Members
I haven't any memorable fish bites, but I did lose part of my left index finger to a military macaw.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

@Unknown Saint I cant even imagine the pressure behind the pacu bite. The power that those jaws can produce to crush things is incredible.

OUCH!!!!!

caught me right above the last knuckle, below the nail, on my left middle finger. still have a scar from it, and it gets sort of tight on occasion (nerve/tendon damage, maybe). and it bled like crazy. in retrospect, at least it wasn't a macaw so i still have a whole finger! :)

Howie

Members
I was using my new Eheim gravel vac last week on my 50 and my 6+" red devil bit my finger--no blood drawn, but he's got some teeth on him.