• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rainbowfish Tank Mates?

F8LBITE

Members
Hey guys I inherited 6 Rainbows from a friend moving away. They are currently in my 20G long with my 4 german blue rams. They will all be going in my new 50G tank (got from DEECEE) which is 36Lx18Wx15T (perfect footprint IMO) the Rams and the Rainbows seem to get along fine, what else do you think I could keep in here with them. I was thinking like 30 Neon tetras and a few corys. Tell me what you think.

100_2840.jpg

longstocking

Members
Rainbows...

Most come from a higher ph. I used to breed and raise them. What kind are they?

They get along great with tangs :)

F8LBITE

Members
I have (2) Glossolepis pseudoincisus
(1) Melanotaenia boesemani

and im not sure about the other two (orange with black stripe)

Here's a few pics

rainbow1.jpg

rainbow2.jpg

blueram.jpg

F8LBITE

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Jun 9 2008, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rainbows...

Most come from a higher ph. I used to breed and raise them. What kind are they?

They get along great with tangs :)[/b]

Oh really!?! I was thinking about that since they like 8.0+ PH and only swim at the top of the tank.

longstocking

Members
Yeah.... great with tangs :) I recommend them as dithers all the time :)

All the ones you got like a higher ph ( If I am remembering correctly it's been a while) and will provide free food for your other tank mates :)

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I beg to disagree. Rift lakers would not be what I would put with Rainbows. Jim Karanikus (probably spelled his name wrong) puts them with SA cichlids. Not sure of the name of his shop in Gaithersburg but it is in the Walnut shopping Center I think on 355. I have a few Rainbows myself and find they like softer water. They breed with my apistos and sucker mouths. I'm not really that fond of them though and would suggest Oscars as good companions.

George

Is there anything Sarah wouldn't subject to Tangs? Just a bit too orange for me.

F8LBITE

Members
Thanks for the input George, all the research Ive done points towards higher PH for rainbows. We'll see how they do, otherwise it would be an excuse to have an all Rainbow tank!

longstocking

Members
George I am just telling you what I expereinced. Mine bred and I raised fry from two of the species he mentioned in HARD 8.0 WATER

In actuality some rainbows ... most rainbows come from hard water.

Here is an article on one of his species.... it's says 8.0 water :

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/boesemans.php

There is a common misconception that all rainbows come from the same PH. It just isn't the case. That is why I asked him which ones.

I've seen the habitat some rainbows come from.... with all the mineral content it has to be hard.

I believe the "blue neon" ones are soft water... which are probably the most common rainbow. But I'm not 100% on that as I have never kept them. It would explain the misconception.

You can put rainbows in almost any water and they will do GREAT and spawn ! But if you want to be "true" to where they come from.... they come from hard water ;)

I also kept some species in "softer" ( around 7.2 ) water with cories. Both still spawned and did great.

The only issue is aggression... but the tangs he is putting them in with are not fast enough to beat up a rainbow. Rainbows are freak'n FAST FAST FAST.

Best dithers for tangs.... danios and rainbows :)

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Hey take it easy. I know there are a bunch of Rainbows. I was just pullin' your Tang' Lover chain.

Rainbows are very adaptable too so you are right as rain. Clean is more important than hard, soft, or Ph. Rainbows and Danios - agreed. I liked to keep Barbs with mine, especially Tigers. Tiger Barbs were especially good with the meaner Tangs and pretty to boot.

Again, just jokin', didn't mean to ruffle feathers.

George