• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

September Meeting Of The Capital Cichlid Association

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The September meeting of the Capital Cichlid Association will be on Saturday the 8th at the usual 2pm. Our speaker this month will be Ad Konings. Ad is world famous for his books, his presentations, and his photos of Cichlids. He has given talks in 20 countries and is a fixture at the ACA convention each year. He will be talking to us about the feeding habits of some Lake Malawi Cichlids. You can check out his biography from this link:
Ad Konings

Our refreshments will include the usual veggies, chips, cookies and drinks along with this being a Hot Wing month. So come hungry. While supplies last....(always wanted to say that)

Each meeting has a raffle and a mini auction.
Sarah is working on a box exchange for this meeting and hopefully everyone has fish, plants or a fish related item for the auction since we have not met for a couple of months.
Also this months auction will have several special items for you to bid on:
1st is a copy of Ad Konings book, Malawi Cichlids in their natural habitat, 3rd edition, which is a donation from Cichlid Press.
2nd item is an Eclipse system 6 tank from Marineland.
3rd item is a Fluval 205 canister filter from Hagen.
4th item is a Marineland C220 canister filter.

The raffle will include the usual grab bags, an Aqua Clear 50 filter from Hagen, and another book, Tanganyika Secrets, by Ad Konings and Horst Walter Dieckhoff. Remember that the chances are cheap and help to pay for the refreshments. $1.00 for 1 chance or $5.00 gets you 7 chances.

This month will also feature a free door prize for those who get there by 2. I have another donation from Cichlid Press, the Back to Nature guide to Malawi Cichlids, <span style="color:#ff0000">2nd edition.

<span style="color:#000000">September will also be nominations month for elected positions. So we will take a small amount of time to discus this and the up coming Aquafest2007.

As you can see, we are pulling out all the stops for this meeting. I hope you all can make it as I believe it will be the biggest meeting ever, so, bring all your fish buddies and show them what a CCA meeting is like.

Pat

sept07flyer.gif

</span>

</span>

D

daniel4832

Even though Ad Konings will be talking about the "wrong" lake, and I have heard this talk before, I am very excited. Why you ask? First just having one of the top "names" in our hobby being at our club is incredible (While our program chair hasn't made many meetings, he has done an great job in lining up a fabulous group of speakers - that didn't hurt as much as I thought it would :FIREdevil: ). Second, having the pleasure of hearing talks from Ad since the 80's, this is one of his best, and I haven't heard one of his talks that wasn't at least very good :D
While it's a month later, this is a great birthday present, thanks Mike. :birthday:
This is one meeting nobody should miss, and try to bring a friend, should be a great way to add some new members.
Thanks,
Daniel

I just had a thought. If any members are friendly with a LFS shop owner (excluding Andrew), might be good opportunity to invite them (or their African cichlid buyer) to attend this meeting. Many of them don't have that much knowledge about Lake Malawi's fish. This would give them a first hand education from one of the best authorities to take back to the shop.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Daniel, the person that you refer to has not been program chair for a year or so. Just never noticed that it needs changing. All speakers in the last year have been set up by Francine or myself. Mike has lined up some for next year.

Bobby thats a good idea.

D

daniel4832

Daniel, the person that you refer to has not been program chair for a year or so. Just never noticed that it needs changing. All speakers in the last year have been set up by Francine or myself. Mike has lined up some for next year.

Bobby thats a good idea.[/b]

Well in that case thanks to you all, and that doesn't hurt at all. :smashfreakB: :FIREdevil: :rolleyes: :D
Thanks,
Daniel

toddnbecka

Members
Hmm, Saturday the 8th is the day after we'll be getting back from Florida. Since I'm on vacation the whole week before I won't have to work that day, and may be able to make it to the meeting. :beamup:

longstocking

Members
I'll be there....

Wouldn't miss it...

I'll say something to Charles at House of Tropicals. He'll pass it onto the owners. They might already know though... the fishy world is VERY small ;)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
It is small but I have talked to 2 store owners that both said, "Who? Never heard of him."
Suprised the heck out of me. Of course they usually do not sell the good books that he writes in the stores.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Think I will bring my Ruby Haps for the auction. I need the space.
Don't forget to bring your item for the auction.

Spine

Members
I was at a LFS and overheard someone saying,they heard Ad Konining was going to be speaking locally but didn't know where. Thats when I realized we dont have anything advertising the event at that store.

To make a long story short I printed a couple of pages of the add that Pat has at the top of this page. It was easy to do I just clicked on the add, saved it an printed it from there.

We still have a couple of weekends (best time to advertise) before the meeting so check with your LFS and see if they will let you put something at the register,frontdoor or anywhere else ( As many as they will let you put up).

PS. I've been to Showcase,Tropical Lagoon already I'll go to Scales tomorrow so get any other stores you can think of.

longstocking

Members
I'm diving this wekend... but I'll ask House of Tropicals to put the flyer up. I'll print one out etc. They do know he is speaking at the CCA though. And they actually knew who he was !

I have to go into the store on Tuesday or Monday so no problem.

I'll also be at the meeting with a box FULL of fishies from Ted Judy's local fish club :) I will also be bringing some of my fish. It's been a while since I've brought anything for the auction :)

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
cool... i will be there... i have posted on my network.. and will sent a mass email later tonight :)

-li