• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

This is why I hate Petco and other chain pet shops(Sorry for long read)

johnscottant

Members
So I went into Petco today to pick up various foods (frozen and dry) for my cichlid tanks when some cichlids from afar caught my eye. Someone had donated 25-30 med to large Cobalt Blue and Red Zebra cichlids. Petco was selling them for 2.00 a piece which i thought was a great deal. I had the guy working there scoop out 5 of the best looking blue zebras (they were all stuffed in a 10 gallon tank) In a seperate tank I saw what looked like an OB zebra cichlid running for his life from 3 Jack Dempseys and 2 "Red Texas Cichlids". I asked the guy working there, was the OB zebra a donation as well as I would take him for 2.00 too, and he told me the fish I was pointing to was a "Red Texas" cichlid. I said "Buddy I know my cichlids I've been collecting for years and I'm a member of several cichlid organizations and I know for a fact that is a african zebra cichlid and not the hybrid Red Texas". He again told me i was wrong and the cichlid i wanted was the Red Texas and its price was 29.99!! So I asked him what were the 2 silver with red tone cichlids. He said "they are Jack Dempseys". I said buddy clearly these 3 cichlids (i pointed to) are jack dempseys by the markings and the red Texas are the silver cichlids with red tones and texas cichlid like marking on their bodies. I told him i write a monthly article in an online publications (Tank Tales) called "The Cichlid Corner" and I know my cichlids. He laughed and said I was wrong. So i said ok buddy grab those 2 "Silver Jack Dempsey" and I will be on my way. He did and now I have 2 Red Texas that were selling for 29.99 a piece for only 4.49. I can't wait until the morning time when the manager comes in and asks about the missing red texas and see how this guy explains this mess. Now I dont like hybrids, flowerhorns and etc but I bought the 2 Red Texas to teach this guy a lesson and hopefully the manager too. The Red Texas are stored by themselves in a spare 55 gallon med tank I had so if anyone wants one let me know. Otherwise I may keep them for a few weeks and then return them to the manager so they can recoup their money. What do you guys think I should do??

dlfn1

Members
I am by far not an expert or anything close to one, but i know that that is definitely NOT a jack dempsey. I may not have been able to tell u what it really was, but would know it looks nothing like a dempsey.

fishman13

Members
I completely agree with you i hate all big shot chain fish stores because of the inexperianced employees and the unhealthiness of the tanks

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Grow the RT's out. If they peel, there is a market for adults, especially females. The two could stay in the 55 for a good while.

verbal

CCA Members
Poor attitude towards advanced and knowledgeable hobbyists is an issue with the big box stores. However I think the situation is even worse for potential hobbyists/new hobbyists who may be relying on the employee for knowledge and advice.

As far as teaching them a lesson, i doubt it will happen. I worked as a manager at petco for 2 and half years, they will simply be written off and that would be the end of it. Best off to keep them and enjoy them, no reason to stress the fish out and rebag and return them

mrkillie

Members
You should donate them to the ECC auction this Sunday! And on your way, stop by my house and I will tell you what i want you to bid on for me :D

bschuhart

Members
What kills me about the Chain store's advice, I hear them telling people to dump some of this and some of that and more of this and so on into the tank and it will solve the problem. All they need to do is regular water changes.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Water changes are (next to) free.

In a way, the reason that there are primarily chain stores left is because people have chosen to support Walmart, Petsmart, Petco, etc. over LFS. Not all LFS are good (a lot suck). But many of the best ones are out of business...or just hanging on.

Matt

What kills me about the Chain store's advice, I hear them telling people to dump some of this and some of that and more of this and so on into the tank and it will solve the problem. All they need to do is regular water changes.

Nathan

Members
Water changes are (next to) free.

In a way, the reason that there are primarily chain stores left is because people are cheap. Not all LFS are good (a lot suck). But many of the best ones are out of business...or just hanging on.

Matt

I agree matt

Shane

Members
I think any aquarist with even a little bit of fish identification skills will run into the above situation fairly frequently.
In my own experience it is worse (or better for the aquarist ;-)) in the independent stores than the chain stores. This is mainly because the chain stores rarely get anything out of the ordinary in stock... not because there is any difference in employee knowledge.
In fact two of the most knowledgeable fish store employees I have come across recently were hobbyists working at chain stores. On the other hand I recently drove up to a large specialty fishstore in PA where the high school student helping me wanted to argue the identification of every catfish species I bought.
In sum, I think there are good and bad sources of information everywhere and advice given by chain store employees is just as often as good or bad as that given by independent store employees. Over the years I have learned to bite my tongue... and not look a gift catfish in the mouth.
-Shane

mrkillie

Members
I know of someone who recently was able to get a bunch of Melanotaenia boesemani for $1 each for this very reason. Unfortunately, it wasn't me :(

fishman13

Members
Poor attitude towards advanced and knowledgeable hobbyists is an issue with the big box stores. However I think the situation is even worse for potential hobbyists/new hobbyists who may be relying on the employee for knowledge and advice.

AY MAN BROTHA

MarkK

CCA Members
Why are you shopping for anything at Petco anyway? I think you should be buying your food at a LFS or anyplace other than a big chain store.

Shane

Members
Why are you shopping for anything at Petco anyway? I think you should be buying your food at a LFS or anyplace other than a big chain store.

Why do you think that?
-Shane

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
i find the food to be expensive at lfs to be a rip off. i dont wanna pay $9-10 for 8oz of food that wont last long. i find that its more economical to purchase online especially with some of our sponsors. most come in foil ziplock packs or 5lb buckets for freshness. depending on the brand you prefer and feeding regiment one purchase can hold you 6 months or more.