• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Murder mystery

I woke up this morning to see 30 floaters!!!! :(:(:(:( in two tanks
The third tank is healthy with fish breeding. WTF??? I checked the water nits ate high but that could be from the floaters everything else was normal.
Anyone else in Nova have issues with water contamination? These were the two tracks that got a 10% water change yesterday.

FishEggs

Man that sucks. Maybe not enough oxygen in the water? Happened to me when i did a water change and filled above the filter outlet. wasnt creating enough surface agitation to oxygenate the water enough. Do you have air filters or stones? Or forget to treat the new water?

I treated the new water with prime. I have two air stones and one sponge filter plus a canister and one hob filter on each tank. I don't think it was tank related... heater is normal, so are the water parameters. I Hate life!!!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Very strange. About once a year, someone in the club experiences something like this, but it's never clear why.

I think it probably was the butler, in the library, with the candlestick. Beyond that, I've got no clue.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Aw shucks

There are days when I search for the "like" button on a post...Thank you, Matt, this made me laugh!
Thanks, Christine!

Blaise's wipeout a couple of years back was one of the ones I remembered, as well as Hollyfish's strange nitrite poisoning episodes. I don't think anyone ever pinpointed the causes.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I tend to think these kinds of mass deaths are due to velvet. It is very hard to see velvet on fish and they act normal almost until it is too late. Once the first one dies, the water quality goes south and the others are under more and more stress. Things then rapidly go bad.

There can be one or two fish covered with velvet and they appear normal for a while. Velvet appears basically as a haze over the fish that are covered with it.

Ich is a possibility too but is much bigger and easier to see.

Ich and velvet weaken the fish and make them susceptible to other problems.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
That sucks man. I had mass die of when a canister malfunctioned and flow was almost non existent.

Speaking of butlers....did you clean the tank recently? Sorry anything in the room? Put down the lid of the tank anywhere suspiciouso? What I'm getting at maybe something got in accidentally? I've gotten in the habit of washing my hands before and after doing tank work....but maybe that's bc I used to volunteer in the lab here at school.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I cleaned the two tanks with the die off yesterday, but I'm absurdly careful of introducing anything. Wash my hands sanitize the equipment after every use in boiling water, I don't remove the lid just slide it up and over the lip.

It wasn't ick but I never thought about velvet frank. I'll take a closer look at the rest of the fish when I get home.

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sorry for the loss, Tarun. I think it too much of a coincidence that the tanks you did water changes on had the issues to think it was something different. Perhaps an overdose on Prime?

One and a half cap full per 10 gallons. If not a parasite, then I'm thinking the rain from last week caused some cross contamination in the water... only explanation I can think of. Lost some beautiful males and a proven breeder female. :(

Becca

Members
I tend to think these kinds of mass deaths are due to velvet. It is very hard to see velvet on fish and they act normal almost until it is too late. Once the first one dies, the water quality goes south and the others are under more and more stress. Things then rapidly go bad.

There can be one or two fish covered with velvet and they appear normal for a while. Velvet appears basically as a haze over the fish that are covered with it.

Ich is a possibility too but is much bigger and easier to see.

Ich and velvet weaken the fish and make them susceptible to other problems.

I tend to agree with Frank on this one. I've been lucky enough to spot velvet a few times and salvage fish, but it is a NASTY disease.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I agree with Jon - too much of a coincidence for there to be a mass die-off on both of the tanks on which you did water changes yesterday.

My first guess would be some kind of heavy dosing of chloramine or other additive to the tap water in preparation for fall.

My next guess would be around aeration or water agitation but it sounds like that's covered.

Just too coincidental for velvet to have have taken out so many fish in both tanks on the same night.

Sorry about your losses!

Matt

Thanks for your help everyone. I don't see a haze on the survivors or discoloration. They were breathing hard when I saw them this morning but a 40% water change using spring water (yup. ..the store bought stuff) seems to have helped.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
That your neighbor also lost fish points me in the direction of local water supply as culprit.

In my case, I could only pin it down to an undefined "user error", despite what I feel is a fairly rigorous hygiene protocol.

Blaise

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Sure sounds like something in the water now with the neighbors problem.

Water companies tend to high dose their lines about once a year to be sure there is no living stuff in them. They also might do it if there is a break in the water lines or they are installing new lines.

We put in a new well 7 years ago and the drilling company put in two gallons of Clorox to clean the lines. We let the faucets run to flush each plus had to run the outside one for two more days to get rid of the high levels of Clorox.