• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Chris' New Fishroom

chriscoli

Administrator
I've been fussing over the layout of my new fishroom. For those that have seen it, you know it's far from finished right now. The room is both awesome and difficult at the same time since many walls have doors or closets.

I've also got some frustrating soffits around the ceiling to deal with as well.

I've already got the air split between two linear-piston air pumps....one large one for the main portion of the room, a smaller one for a portion over on the other side of one of the soffits that covers the area formerly used as a secondary kitchen.

I plan to do semi-automatic water changes once it's all setup. Tanks will be drilled and overflow by zone into one of two or three Rubbermaid bins with sump pumps in them. These will then pump water up and over into the slop sink in the HVAC room. I don't have a floor drain, so the bins as sumps will have to do. Because of this, I won't be able to have a bottom row of tanks since all will need to be up about 16-18" above the floor. I suspect that's ok, though, because I noticed a very drastic temperature difference between my bottom tanks and the rest of the room this past winter (I keep a cooler fishroom than many). The tanks on the bottom row stayed in the upper 60's. So, I'll reserve under the tanks for the sump, storage, and the occasional cold-loving fish (with manual water change).

Fresh water will be turned on from the sink in the HVAC room and distributed by zone around the room as needed. I'd also like to do this concurrently with my RO water for the tanks that like a 50/50 blend of the two. I'll need to get a larger RO reservoir for that.

Here's the layout I've come up with so far.

fishroom.jpg

lkelly

Members
Is this in your basement? If so, what is the average temp difference between your basement and first floor? I'm finding mine to be about 6 degrees cooler during the winter in our house, so I'm not sure how bad it will be to heat the 5 tanks I have down there right now. Doing water changes, even without drilled overflows/sumps is soooo much easier down there. I have mixing valves and a hose right by the tanks, plus a utility sink nearby for draining siphons or buckets.

chriscoli

Administrator
Pathetic.

Not a single 10 gallon tank. Let the mockery begin.

I guess I should have mentioned that those were the QT tanks. I don't want to fuss with drilling them, so they're not a big part of the plan.....but they will be included somewhere!

chriscoli

Administrator
Is this in your basement? If so, what is the average temp difference between your basement and first floor? I'm finding mine to be about 6 degrees cooler during the winter in our house, so I'm not sure how bad it will be to heat the 5 tanks I have down there right now. Doing water changes, even without drilled overflows/sumps is soooo much easier down there. I have mixing valves and a hose right by the tanks, plus a utility sink nearby for draining siphons or buckets.

We've only been in this house for one winter and we desperately need to replace the windows, so I'm not really sure.....probably 6 to 8 degrees difference. I did need to hear the room a little this past winter.

chriscoli

Administrator
So, given the recent acquisition of 6 75's, I've re-thought the layout of the fishroom...Here's what I'm thinking of doing now:

fishroom with 75s.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
So, not counting oddball nano tanks, or anything 10 gal or under (because I'm still not sure where they'll get fit into the plan in addition to QT and fry raising).

totals when all is done will be:

73 tanks, 2187 gallons.

chriscoli

Administrator
Rack and tanks are finally in (thanks to help from the Husband). All tanks passed the leak test in the garage last week. Now to finish setup and refill with water!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app