• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Another fish death

Greengirl

Members
I now lost my beautiful blue zebra female angel I got from Sam 6 months ago. She was dead randomly when I came home one day with small red scabby marks near her head. She showed no such marks the day before. I don't know if parasites erupted from her head or if she bashed herself against the rocks or tank.

But now I am considering the possibility that all my tanks are cross infected and I'm going to lose all my fish. I am treating with peroxide, a UV sterilizer, and anti-worm fish food in all my tanks as a preventative measure. I still have one male angel left in the tank where the blue female died. I want to totally sterilize his tank, but don't want to risk spreading anything if I move him. I already know he is infected with calamus worm and has been on leva food for a few doses. He still eats, but will he be a lost cause too? Do I put him out of his misery now, or do I keep trying with him. I don't want to add other fish in his tank until I know it is as free of parasites as possible.

so sorry to hear that especially when you think its across multiples tanks at the same time. hope you can get to the bottom of this sooner than later.

Becca

Members
What do you think they all have?

It's possible she bashed her head when she started having trouble swimming.

Did you introduce anything new that might've been carrying something? Also, levamisole makes fish wacky sometimes, doesn't it? If she were exposed maybe erratic behavior caused her to sustain a head injury she didn't recover from.

I've decided that whenever I can't id what's wrong with a fish but I know something IS definitely wrong, I treat with poly guard. It's done pretty well for me so far - saved some of the baby plecos with mystery disease and also halted death among the hummingbird tetras I just brought home. I just wish I'd used it when I got them into quarantine instead of waiting a day. I think the stress of the move made them susceptible to something bacterial - there were signs of internal hemorrhage.

Greengirl

Members
I have adding nothing new to the tanks that have had the two deaths. I have added some new fish to my show tank, and they exhibited early signs of hex with the stringy white poop. I have done two rounds with Prazi to treat, and a UV sterilizer, and peroxide. I might go for Furan as well if you guys reccommend it.

Doug said that maybe the one net I use to do all my fish catching may transmit some bacteria. Do you thing it could transmit hex?

Greengirl

Members
Doug suggested it. It is like a disinfectant and anti bacterial. It dissipates as it works so I add another proper dose in 24 hours.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
So sorry to hear :(.
When I sterilized my tank I used "net soak". It was after all the fish died so Im not sure if it would be safe for fish but it did a nice job sterilizing it.