• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish room

Btwcp

CCA Members
I am gonna build a fish room. I was wondering what people recommend for filtration? I was thinking a sump and sponge filters. I was thinking a 100 or 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank for my sump. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Brian

verbal

CCA Members
Sump and sponge filters is a great way to go. The rubbermaid stock tanks are great for sumps.

Another option generally for smaller tanks is HMF filters with Poret foam. You could even start out with sponge filters and gradually convert to HMF filters.

Becca

Members
I use a central air pump and sponge filters. I only have 12 tanks in my fish room, though. Still, it's energy efficient, prevents cross contamination of tanks (you have to use a UV sterilizer on a sump to do this) and allows me to keep different temps and water parameters in my tanks, which is important because I keep vastly different fish in them.

I keep a mix of systems.

I use a large centralized system with my bigger tanks for holding the bigger fish and for growing out the larger batches of fry. The sump is about a 50 gallon and services 2 x 120's and 8 x 15's. Biological filtration is provided by Poret filter walls in the 15's in front of the overflow drains. The sump I keep some plants in and use it for the occasional bag of carbon.

For my other tanks I use mainly sponge filters and a few Aqueon power filters. Slowly changing all of the 10 gallons over to Poret mattenfilters. The smaller tanks I generally use for breeding or for raising very young fry.

Andy

dogofwar

CCA Members
I pair (air-driven) box and sponge filters in most of my tanks. I found that sponges alone resulted in much more muck in the tank than when I added a box.

Matt