• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Turquiose Jewel Cichlids

lonlangione

Members
I need some help with this. Turquoise Jewelfish. Are they a color morph of Hemichromis bimaculatus? Some articles on the internet say they are a hybrid. If so, a hybrid of what two species? I believe these references to hybrids are wrong and they are indeed a color morph. Can anyone shed some light on this form me?

Thanks, Lonny

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I thought they were line bred, or a selective mutant. Along the lines of the Electric Blue JD, but I don't have any sources to back it up.

dogofwar

CCA Members
It's really not possible to know. I'd assume not pure and certainly not wild type.

That doesn't mean that they're not gorgeous fish (I kept and bred them myself in California).

The true identity of Hemichromis in the hobby and the taxonomy of the Genus are both a real mess. I think Anton Lamboj is actually working on the taxonomy side...

Matt

I need some help with this. Turquoise Jewelfish. Are they a color morph of Hemichromis bimaculatus? Some articles on the internet say they are a hybrid. If so, a hybrid of what two species? I believe these references to hybrids are wrong and they are indeed a color morph. Can anyone shed some light on this form me?

Thanks, Lonny

Hawkman2000

Members
I have three of them right now and I wouldn't mind knowing this either.

Thing is, the body shape seems to be different than the standard ones. Its almost like they are evolving head humps like new worlds.

Leffler817

CCA Members
+1 on the line bred, or at least that was the understanding I acquired when I kept them. Regardless, they are cool fish.