• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

African stock list ?

frkyltn

Members
Hello all, Just started an all male African tank (stock list below). What is the average number to keep in a 75g. ? I'm running 2x Aquaclear hob filters(1×110g + 1x70g) ,1x Magnum 220 canister, 1x powerhead + white pool filter sand & some rorkscape. Wifey says tank looks empty but I don't want to overcrowded.

*Current stock list:*
1x 9" Kigoma frontosa
1x 5" T-Reef
1x 5" Dragon Blood
2x 4.5" Rubby Red
1x 3.5" Bi-Color 500
1x 3.5" Sunshine Benga

20140824_185307.jpg

Last edited:

neut

Members
If they're getting along well as is, it's kind of your option. Frontosa don't particularly like to be crowded, but peacocks you can crowd and sometimes need to crowd to keep aggression in check. Including juvies growing up I've had over 35 fish in a 75 gal peacock/medium hap tank before. As mentioned above that many fish needs good filtration and water changes, but the fish themselves were healthy and happy in that tank.

If you were on some African cichlid sites, you'd find that's not an extreme case. Malawi tanks are just a different animal in terms of stocking levels. Quite often when someone is having aggression issues the advice is 'you need more fish in there' when in a lot of other tanks the advice would be 'you're overstocked'.

Not saying you need more fish, because if your tank is working it's working. Also, as time went on I gravitated more to moderately to lightly stocked tanks, but just to give you an idea where you could go with it if you really wanted to.

frkyltn

Members
If they're getting along well as is, it's kind of your option. Frontosa don't particularly like to be crowded, but peacocks you can crowd and sometimes need to crowd to keep aggression in check. Including juvies growing up I've had over 35 fish in a 75 gal peacock/medium hap tank before. As mentioned above that many fish needs good filtration and water changes, but the fish themselves were healthy and happy in that tank.

If you were on some African cichlid sites, you'd find that's not an extreme case. Malawi tanks are just a different animal in terms of stocking levels. Quite often when someone is having aggression issues the advice is 'you need more fish in there' when in a lot of other tanks the advice would be 'you're overstocked'.

Not saying you need more fish, because if your tank is working it's working. Also, as time went on I gravitated more to moderately to lightly stocked tanks, but just to give you an idea where you could go with it if you really wanted to.

good info..thank you..I've read a lot of different articles but since I have interacted personally and bought fish from people on CCA, I wanted to get some input from here.."the more you learn, the more you know"